Install Prices?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2005 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  

meltingplastic wrote:
i agree those prices are pretty fair.. when i do side jobs( great way to make extra cash while at school and not working) i charge $25 for head unites $30-50 for speakers depending upon the car, 50 for amp install, 100 for remote start 120 for alarm. i dont supply any install materials and they must have harnesses so i tell people to buy from crutchfield otherwise go to bb or cc and pick up the parts or i will get the parts and charge them the cost of the parts. obviously crimp caps electrical tape and the minimal stuff is incldued in my prices.. no damn $5 materials fee.. thats were bb makes all their money.. oh and charging 50 for a 15 min h/u install

ummm...   you charge $25 for a 15min install and don't have  a $15,000/month rent and $20,000/month payroll.   You are the one that seems expensive.  You also do not keep books, pay taxes on it, etc....

$50 seems pretty fair to me.

soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged  
i used to do side work and i would charge half price of the shop i worked at, but now that i don't work for a complete ass i tell people that if i do it on the side it costs three times as much so i don't have to do side work.
meltingplastic 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
ur right man i dont have that, but i do have 40k a year in school fees. I'm not knocking ur system.. and if i had an actual shop my prices would be competitive with all other stores.. but i'm just doing things to make a quick buck.. no need to get offended bosss
Driving a Bagged, Caddied 02 s10
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  

we charge $45 flat rate per component (HU or Amp or Speakers) plus any materials required..... this is pretty much what every shop in this area charges.... we dont really cater to the low end "can you do it for $20?" customers....

as already mentioned, when a real business charges they are not just trying to cover wage costs, but also the 100's of thousands it cost to buy the building, Property tax, Business tax, Heat, Power, etc, etc......

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  

It's all about hourly pay, my boss fetches $90 an hour plus all materials used.

soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
where is your shop at.
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 7:59 AM / IP Logged  

Now heres and interesting thought, how many of you guys that have shops or work for shops even worry about the competition?

As research from one of my previous post concluded
91 Induvidual shops within 30 miles of my place
Most charge by the component
Less than 35 % charge a flat rate

Flat rate average is $25.00 a hour

Component charges:
HU: $30 Kit and Wire Included
AMP: $45-$55 with 70% include wire  30% $10-$20 average  for wire
Speakers: $20-30

Now this is for south florida

It all comes down to competition, if you have 4 shops within a mile of you and you charge $90 and hour while the others charge $40 and hour your are going to lose money and business
Ive also noticed that most of the shops down here are only 1 or 2 man shops in the lowest rent areas, there are a few exceptions ofcourse

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic