icon

Engine Noise on one side of componants

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
Well I was finally able to get a set of componants to replace my crappy factory door speakers. I ended up getting a set of Diamond Audio Hex S600s.
After probably 10 total hours of working on installing these and basically reinstalling both amplifiers and my subwoofers I got it to look pretty good. Still working on tuning it, however I am getting some engine noise on the passenger side componants now. The RCAs are all far away from every other wire, so I was thinking it was possibly a crossover. Is there anything I can do short of replacing the crossover if that is the case?
Also has anyone ever ordered anything from Probox? I was considering their single cab box that fits directly into my strangly shaped space behind the seat, they quoted me $220 shipped to my door, but I don't know anyone that has bought from them so I would like some feedback first. They use 5/8 MDF and cover it in textured black urethane, so far the reviews online I have found seem to be rather positive.
Thanks in advance.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
If you're getting induction into a crossover (fairly common) about the only thing you can do is try moving it.  Also look for a stray speaker wire strand sticking out touching ground, which can cause engine whine on one side and not the other.
Support the12volt.com
spootydlux4 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  

You can get some RCAs with a ground on them. But also try and keep your speaker wires far from your power. And proboxes kick ass. A shop in out town was carrying them before they got shut down. But those things are practically bullet proof and you will not find a leak anywhere.

also how do those Diamond 10"s sound? ive been interested in them? are they in a standard cab? and what kind of box are they in right now?

blah blah blah blah
TruckSystem 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
The only speaker wires next to power wires are the ones going to the driver door, and they have no engine noise in them at all.
The Diamond subs sound great, probably the best subwoofer I have owned. I have them in standard wedge style MDF truck boxes with .57 for airspace for each at the moment, and yes it is in a single cab. Would highly recommend them for a standard cab truck.
If I do go with Probox is the 5/8 MDF thick enough that they do standard or should I see about getting it done in 3/4? I also need to make sure that my amp will fit in the space they have between the chambers, I sent them an email about it this morning, hopefully they will get back to me soon. I have our local shop interested in carrying them after talking to them about it and can have it delivered to there as well to save on shipping hopefully.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
Try switching left and right RCAs to your components both at the deck and at the amp. This will eliminate the head unit and the RCAs from the equation. Are the X-overs any where near any 12 volt source? Switch the right and left speaker leads at the amp. All of these things will help localize the problem.
TruckSystem 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
I am sure it isn't the head because the stock speakers were fine as far as speaker noise was concerned, the only thing thats changed is the fact that I have crossovers and different speakers on the doors now.
Crossovers are next to a 12 volt source yes, they are mounted next to my distribution block, I suppose I need to move them? Running out of places to put stuff behind my seat Engine Noise on one side of componants - Last Post -- posted image. Will try most of your ideas when I get home from work, I had planned to but didn't get time to until today.
TruckSystem 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
Switched left and right RCAs, noise still from the same componants.
Switched crossovers to the passanger side, noise still from the same componants.
Switched speaker leads from amp to crossover, noise still from the same componants.
The speaker leads from the crossover to that set of componants do get somewhat close to the RCAs, like within 4 or so inches, should I reroute them? Would need to lengthen the speaker leads in order to do this. Any other suggestions if this doesn't work?
Probox won't build me a custom box, I need 20 inches in between the two seperate chambers and their box only has 16. Guess I will have to look into having the local place build me one or maybe another online store, anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
Your speaker leads can be alongside the RCAs, just not power wires.  Have you checked the speaker leads inside the door for a stray wire or for a connector touching ground?  Also try swapping the left and right crossover and see if the noise swaps, it could be a bad crossover.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic