icon

12 Infinite Baffle/Free Air in 01 GS430

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
panerailover 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
Guys you always gave me good suggestions and explonations about all my questions. I finally got all my stuff purchased. I bought Infinity Kappa 6.5" Components for front doors, 6.5 Kappa speakers for rear doors. 12" Infinity Perfect VQ sub Kicker top of the line RCA and Power cables, JL Audion 300/4 and 500/1 amps. I am doing the upgrade on my sound in my newly purchased 2001 GS430. I wanted to keep the sound system stock if you look inside the car. I will use the Lexus stock head unit and 5-CD player. I had 3 systems before in my other cars and never hads sub installed infinite baffle/free-air application. This car's sound system came with the stock 10" sub installed free-air on back deck. So I wanted to use that set up just with better more powerfull sub and amp. I know infinite baffle is hard to make sound well because of all the air leaks that might be present to seal the trunk out of the cabin. Since Lexus makes their cars well I thought they already have all the leaks squared away from the factory there for they have the stock sub free air in the car, plus the upgraded Mark Levinson uses same set up I assume and that sounds great, I mean they would not charge $6k option for it for nothing. So I thought it would be a good idea to use this sub which was reviewed by many and incuding Car Audio mag as very good sub for any application. Anyone has anythoughts on this or should I go with sealed 1 cubic feet box that Car Audio Mag used in their review and put in in the trunk?
01 Lexus GS430 SOLD.. 04 BMW 545i Sport, NAV Logic7
Bigsingh 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
yer, i think that you could make ur sub work but pleaz dont put it in free air, first thingh ur sub is gonna be hitting its surround and coil limits at very low volumes and second ur infinity is not a free air sub from my knowledge. if u try u can make a lightweight box from fibreglass which fits underneath ur rear decking. this way ur subwill be mounted securely and ull actually get sum sound out of it. for this just go to the fibreglass section of the forum but it sounds like a good SQ setup to me, well done, ps. no free air- its wrong lol
6* Rockford T2's
6* POWER AMPs
BLACK CORRADO
BAANNGGIINN
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  

I personaly would put it in a 1.45 ft^3 box. It will sound better than the 1 ft^3 box and will handle more power than the free-air setup.

Chris

Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
Bigsingh 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 09, 2005 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  

no, why wud u do that, da 12 inch versions r designed to go into 1 cubic foot boxes. i did dat once and da subs will tend to not drop very low and basiclly sound crap at what they r supposed to do best- bass. lol

no offence but it wont sound better in a 1.45 setup unless it is ported, i read that the infinty 12vq needs a 1.45 cubic box for a vented enclosure. best thing to do is go onto www.infinitysystems.com and download da manual it will tell u all da thiele small parameters etc...

6* Rockford T2's
6* POWER AMPs
BLACK CORRADO
BAANNGGIINN
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2005 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged  
if you want a free air sub, a kicker comp is the way to go. 79 bucks for a 10" and it will play great. i've done systems like that before, more in marine applications, and the sound is nothing short of impressive.  
panerailover 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2005 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys, I will go with sealed 1cubic feet box..
panerailover 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  
i did it in sealed box, then ended up selling it, it did not handle power, i thought the woofer was bad, but the local shop said thats the way they sound, they put new Boston 12" G5-GTR, and it was like night and day i loved it. Since  I had box built already hanging underneath the rear deck, they just put the new sub and said it does not sound right before I even had a chance to hear it like that, shooting through the stock hole.. When they put this sub in for me to listen it was on the trunk floor facing the trunk lid, it sounded pretty good. But since I had amps mounted on the trunk floor i could not leave the box on the floor, so we hand to hang it agian but this time for sub shooting down to the floor, it is about 5' from the trunk floor, it sounds good, but i want to maybe built sealed box right from the rear deck somehow so the sub shoots up to the rear window or hang it agian from underneath also shooting up but through the hole 4 inches away from deck.. But i also did some research and found few woofers that sound great free air and should have went with them first. Image Dynamics IDMAX 12"..  I heard it sound awasome freeair, any ideas? or maybe built fiberglass box instead right on the rear deck??? any ideas?
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
dont use free air it gust makes everting rattle. not much bass will come from it if you are going to do free air you are going to have to buy some really high powered subs like two jl w7 or something like that jl w7 are very stable and are able to handle free air well. i would suggest a sealed box at 1cbf for the infinitys they like sealed boxes instead of a ported box. plus sealed boxes are smaller. the ids sound good to
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic