Accessory Bus / Inverter install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rotinom 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2005 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
Two questions for the price of one :D.
Anyhoo, I'm thinking about my vehicle (02 WRX), and the more I think about what I want to do w/ it, the more it seems to make sense that I install some kind of Accessory Bus for power.
IE: I have aftermarket gauges. They need an Acc hook up for the backlights, so I spliced into the aftermarket stereo harness (didn't want to splice "factory" wiring).
What I'd really like to do, is make some panel & mount a fuse panel on it for my aftermarket stuff. Hella Horns on one draw (for the relay), gauges on an ACC setup, Inverter on another ACC setup.
Basically, have a bus instead of having some of the same circuitry replicated throughout the car. More tidy, easier to diagnose a problem, and hopefully safer.
Any thoughts/examples for doing this? Any ideas where to install it, so it's not intrusive, unsafe, or too damaging to the stock components of the car (right now, it can be brought totally back to stock).
Second question, I'd like to put an inverter in the car, w/ an outlet mounted somewhere unobtrusive, but easy to reach (say the rear of the console, [ignore the previous factory speech :D])
Any thoughts on where/how to mount it? I'm just looking for a 110v outlet which could be panel mounted & then hard wired to the inverter.
Thanks for the help!!
Lukeinst 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2005 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, I do stuff like that all the time.  I build police vehicles.  You can get a Heavy Duty 75 amp Bosch relay, run 8 or 6 gauge wire from the batt. to the relay and then from the relay to a fuse panel of some kind.  You can find all these items from www.waytekwire.com.  Use your current acc wire to switch the relay and there you go.  As far as the inverter I have seen them in all shapes and sizes and it would be easy enough to do. 

Oh yeah, DO NOT FORGET TO FUSE THE MAIN POWER WIRE FROM THE BATT TO THE RELAY.  I hope this helps.  If you need some more help just ask.

Jim

Specializing in Police Equipment installations.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic