icon

Lexan bubble tank failed first 2 trys

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  

Ok so I made a tank to seal up and fill with baby oil to put in the back of my sub box... to give it a bubble water wall effect when you open the trunk only... Don't ask me why I just wanted to do it... So the first time I used epoxy and screwed at all together and siliconed the outside... didn't work... The second time I used almost a whole bottle of weld on 3 and even filled the screw holes and let it cure for 48 hours... still didn't work... just a little seeping leak... I think my problem was very minor inaccurate cuts, and using screws... This third attempt I believe I found a cabinet maker to help me build/design a new box 4 cubic feet internal and 2 4" ports facing through the rear deck... 11" long but he suggested to get a piece of 3/4" plexi and just make a window on the back of the sub box looking in and make the wall double thickness just like adding any normal window... then Making the box out of 1/4" plexi on the outside and mounting it seperately... then make sure all the cuts are accurate and use wled on 3 and clamps ONLY... But what do I fill it with???? the tank is only going to be about 3/4" thick internally... maybe 1"? then 11" tall internally by like 15" wide internally I'm doing this to try and keep the gravity weight down from trying to push the liquid out.

But everyone suggested baby oil will this work or is it a penetrator to weld on? He thinks distilled water will work? CAN ANYONE GIVE ME A CORRECT ANSWER To the baby oil/water question?

THANK YOU AND SORRY FOR THE LONG POST JUST TRYING TO BE AS DETAILED AS POSSIBLE!

mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
I know on an episode of pimp my ride they used water to make a "river" in someones console...I don't remember what they used to adhere the plexi pieces together though sorry. Did you ever think of just making a space between the back wall and an additional piece of plexi, and just using some sort of hidden jug that feeds the water to the top of the waterfall structure through a tube or something...then go to Lowes garden section and buy a 19 dollar pump to send the water back to the jug...kinda like those little water falls people have in thier backyards. Then you can buy and power inverter (pump is 110 AC) and run the power wire to either a relay from the trunk light...or just throw a switch on the hot wire of the inverter and manually turn the water fall off and on.
BoominRolla 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
I already have the fish tank pump I have an intake tube going into the tank to feed the bubble wand that in 1/4" tubing then an exhaust tube at the top of the tank to release pressure at 1/2" I need the bubbles to rise from the bottom... and am looking for something that WILL NOT ALGEA So I really don't know much about building leak proof tanks... is it the oil i'm using? just generic baby oil from rite aid?... ANYONE ELSE? Thank you in advance!!!
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 17, 2005 at 3:41 AM / IP Logged  
use water and add a couple drops of bleach to kill any algea. Good luck, and how about some pictures to help with visuals.
Iceorbz 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: June 18, 2005 at 6:16 AM / IP Logged  

Comment on the oil

Just some experience from being on a navy submarine for the past 2 years, oil always leaks.    That stuff comes out of welds and other random junk. Its never a 100% system.     I would probably stick to some sort of treated water, maybe DI or something ?

2004 2.4l SRT-4
BoominRolla 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2005 at 7:49 AM / IP Logged  
lmao so now i'm sitting on a gallon of oil... great! Lexan bubble tank failed first 2 trys - Last Post -- posted image.lol well we live and learn!! This "tank" will never be able to come apart again! so what kind of treated water should I should I was told distilled... but I need it to NOT cloud up or get algae in it! I will possibly be able to drain it by sifioning iut 95% but the bubble wand will stick abobe the bottome about 1/2" so not ALL the water can be drained but close. Will bleach effect the bubble wand? anyother help will be appreciated!!!
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2005 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
Those big bubble lights that you can buy say to use distilled water. As long as nothing gets in it from the jug to the time you seal it, nothing will ever be in it. I think a tiny bit of bleach may not be a bad idea, but a large amount may eat the plastic bubbler or even the lexan over time.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
I know a couple of of drops of bleach won't harm anything
overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 4:36 AM / IP Logged  
Perhaps a couple of those miniature cat sucker fish that grow no longer then an inch? Lexan bubble tank failed first 2 trys - Last Post -- posted image.
Check all advice given with a meter

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic