icon

I just realized I can't hear THD

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, Until today I didn't think my hearing was in that bad of condition, but I was fixing an email server for my favorite Car Audio distrubitor and he had me check out a off brand amp that put out 3000 watts at 1ohm with 10% THD and all I heard was the 35hz test tone loud and clear out of a wall of JL W3's

He kept asking " Cant I hear that ripping like noise"  I couldnt hear anything except the tone, would this mean I would never be able to hear a sub when it is distorting for what ever reason?

I guess the upside is I can buy a 5,000 watt amp for 50 bucks give it 16 volts and have 50% THD and it would still sound good to me

Oh well, time for a new set of ears

Later

---Skold

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't feel too bad the human ear can't detect distortion until about 3 - 5%. Maybe the amp was playing better than rated and the guy is crazy.
Mike
skoldspuppy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  

NowYaKnow wrote:
I wouldn't feel too bad the human ear can't detect distortion until about 3 - 5%. Maybe the amp was playing better than rated and the guy is crazy.
Mike

I doubt it , it was some brand called Blitz audio there kind of lumped in the Pyramid/ Pyle audio catagory, its part of a new line there trying to pimp so they sent him some products to demo

but who knows

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

I have a hearing problem, too.  When my wife is talking I can't hear what she's saying, but I can hear distant music in the background.

Um...I guess that's not too much of a problem...

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
skoldspuppy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

I have a hearing problem, too.  When my wife is talking I can't hear what she's saying, but I can hear distant music in the background.

Um...I guess that's not too much of a problem...

I noticed that when I got married as well I just realized I can't hear THD - Last Post -- posted image., only difference now I cant hear the distance music either

Thanks for the cheer up.. im going to go drink now

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  

NowYaKnow wrote:
Mike

Well, that actually depends.  The frequency and makeup of the distortion will actually determine that.  Here's an interesting website describing what I mean: http://www.gedlee.com/distortion_perception.htm 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
Check this site out. It has some pretty cool distortion tests.
http://www.klippel.de/aura/default.html
Paul
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for that link Steven Kephart that is a really cool website.  I have found that I always think that my systems sound good until I hear something better, and have to go out and do some upgrades.

That and I have destroyed my capabilities of hearing certain frequencies because I was one of those unresponsible enthusiasts at one time.  It's not as bad as I make it, I just like usung it as an excuse for not listening to people.

it all boils down to perception, some crazy idiots drive around town with their windows rolled down listening to thier music about 5 levels louder than their systems can take so it just sounds like they are using metal trash cans for sub boxes, and dixie cups for mids, but they like it, and as long as they are happy... well I am still annoyed by those people, but that is just one more person that is that much more impressed with my system, and I don't have to advertise it to the world while damaging other people's hearing.

eh? what did you just say?
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
NAh, you're hearing isn't bad.
Did you know that if you can HEAR a 20Hz frequency playing from a sub that the THD is extremely high? You shouldn't be able to hear it, but if you do it is the driver playing distortion that is being generated at higher frequencies.
35Hz is a little bit higher, but this same principle kind of applies. The "average" human can tolerate IIRC 7% THD below 50hz without even noticing it.
SO you're about normal.
skoldspuppy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  

Poormanq45 wrote:
SO you're about normal.

I can live with about normal I just realized I can't hear THD - Last Post -- posted image. as long as I don't get too normal im ok

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic