icon

sub question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jmeese 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2005 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  

If I add a powered sub to my kenwood kdc-mp828 will all the bass be redirected to the sub or will bass still come out of the other speakers.

Also if all the bass comes out of the sub will that make for louder highs from the fronts(door)?

Trying to determine if replacing speakers (still have factory) or adding sub gives me better output.  sound is not bad now just not as loud as I would like.  Don't really want to spend more than another 175.

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  

Usually decks let you set a cross-over point for main speakers..  you'd have to set it yourself though.  Taking lower frequencies off of your cabin speakers will make them play a wee-bit louder and cleaner.

You'd have to connect the sub and then crossover the main speakers.. as high as possible.  Like 120hz or so.   If you having this stuff installed professionally, the installer should do it for you.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  
well if you head unit dosent have the crossover  you can turn down the bass on the head unit at that will enable you to get more overall volume  and with the powered  you will still be able to hear your low end sound and for your ? the headunits output to the speakers will not change if you hook up a powered sub
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Jmeese 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 2:20 PM / IP Logged  
I was planning on installing  myself.  Do you recommend either the speaker replacement or the Powered sub?  Which do you think would have a greater impact on my system?
TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
Speaker replacments for the factory speakers will get you louder and clearer at most frequencies, amplifiying the speakers with a seperate amp will get even farther. They will still lack low end bass if that is all your after, but it will sound alot better then stock and will have better bass response then stock. So speakers if you don't mind being a bit light on bass, sub if you want alot more bass.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
Nodestiny 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
depends on your stock speakers. And what you replace them with. If you have an older car (late 80's for example) the speakers definatly would need replaced! Most likely warn out and the manufacturing was cheap. Newer cars (such as 98 and up) often times have decent speakers in them (from the factory, even!) and are not deteriorated.
A good way to find out is to listen to your speakers, then listen to the ones that fit your budget using the same CD. This will give you an idea of what sounds best.
04 dodge neon SXT
(2) Oz Audio Matrix Elite 12"s sealed in 4 cube fiberglass enclosure, powered by HiFonics BX1605D
Oz Audio Matrix 180cs 6.5" component set power by HiFonics ZX4000
SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
It really comes down to what you feel is best for you.  In general adding a sub is the first thing to do because the ear is less sensative to low frequencies and low frequencies are drowned out by road noise.  If you feel your factory speakers are satisfactory and will work for you until you can replace them then go with the sub.  If you feel your factory speakers are just too bad to live with replace your factory speakers with some good three-ways.  Good Luck!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic