the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

wiring a D4 sub to a 2ohm stable amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
nyguy4u wrote:

I'm not sure how running my amps at 2ohms would make them "die", if the amp is 2 ohm stable. Please explain?.

Your amp will die, because when you bridge it, you will be effectively placing a one ohm load on each channel of the amp - a load the Kenwoods will NOT like for very long - especially with you being into SPL, and wanting to drive them WFO...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
hmm. I was under the impression that it was only 2 ohm stable when running out of one channel, and it not being bridged. Maybe i'm wrong.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
2 ohms per channel, yes, in stereo mode... You will not hurt the amp by only running one channel, but you will be throwing money away, as you will be only using one channel. You really will gain very little, if any, by running 2 ohms on one channel, as opposed to running 4 ohms per channel in stereo.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  

ok, I got what you guys are saying. Thanks alot.

So, i'll wire the subs to 2ohm, and get a 2ohm stable mono class D amp. I know one amp would be better to power all 3 of my subs, and less drain on my system, but I have 3 amps, more for look in a fiberglass setup. It's a show car, but it's also a cruising car too. I already have a Optima Yellow top, and a HO Alt, so my electrical system is pretty good. So, i'll stick with 3 amps for now.

As far as numbers now, what should I be looking for as far as Mono amps?. Not really brand wise, but #'s wise. As stevdart stated, my subs are rated at 500rms, and peak.. well, I don't know.. because JL Audio's website doesn't even list a peak #. So, when looking at amps, I should really only be concerened at the ratings for 2ohm, and rms, correct?. I see some amps, that are rated for 500rms, but a peak much higher then 500.. so that is ok, right?. I was looking at an Alpine at 1,000 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms. I was also looking at a MB Quart at 657 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms, and an Infinity at 657 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms. Which one would I wanna get?. Would I want to stay with the MB and Infinity because it's closer to 500?, or are even those to high of a RMS to power my sub?.. and should I find an amp rated for 500rms at 2ohm, and lower?.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 16, 2005 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

We're only concerned with RMS output and continuous power handling.  Words like "peak" and "max" have no value here.  Anything higher than 500 watts at 2 ohms is too high, unless you are meticulous about measuring output and making sure the amp is not overpowering the sub.  Safest way to go is to use a good brand that makes 500 watts. In fact, that nice JBL I pointed out would be too much power unless you tamed it.   This Memphis amp is spec'd as you will want and would make a fine addition to a show car...highly recommended.

wiring a D4 sub to a 2ohm stable amp - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic