icon

leds in custom trunk

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tim828 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: June 20, 2005 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
I m going to be doing a fiberglass trunk peice and going to hide bout 20 leds in it.  what i need to know is how do you go about wiring 20 lights together on 1 switch. could they even be wired on 1 switch.  I do have a battery in my trunk so i thought maybe could just get power from there.  I do have some electrical experience but not 12 volt.  hope sum1 can help.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  
What kind of LEDs are they make sure you get the resistance right on them or you will just blow them when you put 12volts to them
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
tim828 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
they are the leds that you can buy off ebay.  they supposedly come with resistors.  i am wondering how do you wire 20 lights on one switch.  is there some kind of distrubution block for leds?  also can i get my power direct from battery or do i need another source.
customcarchris 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
If each LED has a resistor, then just run two wires, a power and a ground. Hook the resistor to the positive side of the LED and to the power wire. Hook all of the negative sides of the LEDs to the ground wire. The LEDS will be wired in parallel, but with a resistor to each one.
LEDs consume very little power, you could have hundreds on a single small wire. Put a switch on your power wire and you have them all switched.
As far as power, any 12 volt source will work. These few LEDs won't take much power, you could even hook them up to your trunk hatch light switch so they turn on when you open the trunk.
customcarchris 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
Forgot some important points, in case you might wonder. The resistors don't have a polarity, they can go either way around. LEDs are, the positive is the side with the longer leg, and if you look inside the glass of the LED, the metal parts are split, but not evenly, the side with the small half is the positive.
Just from experience, when you place your LEDs, aim them across the trunk and not close, LEDs are very directional and will show a big "dot" instead of even lighting if they are too close to the lighted subject.
Hope you can use this info, I found some of this out the hard way, and that was no good.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic