icon

how hot is too hot for an amplifier?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tim828 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

i have a kickersx1250.1 amp on my subs.  it has the digital readout on it.  the other day i happened to look in the trunk at it and it said it was 126 degrees.  now im not sure if this is actually hot for an amp.  i dont have much experience.  but i dont wanna burn anything up.  also had one more ?.  if i put a toggle swith on my amps to turn them off.  when you have the amp off for the highs will they still play just not with much power??

hope sum1 can help.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  

If you don't smell smoke it must be okay.  But if it is hot to the touch, as when you can't keep the palm of your hand on it for a minute, then it's time to set up a fan cooling system.

You can toggle the amp off with a switch on the remote wire, but when it's off there will be no music.  The line out from the deck will still be physically connected and as long as the RCA's are in place the deck will not produce power.  You can find what will happen by removing the turn-on wire at the amp.  If your aim is to shut off the amps to allow a cool-down cycle, then it IS time to set up a fan cooling system.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
tim828 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: June 25, 2005 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
i was thinking that.  i am fixing to redo the trunk.  i think i will port through rear deck and bring in some cool air.  thanks for the help

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic