Siruis Radio and CD Quality Sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2005 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
349517 wrote:
I install for a living, and have done alot of sat. radio. I did read all the other posts but there is a HUGE diffence between the fm mod. units and the dedicated. If you have sat. ready deck buy dedicated, that is better than cd quality. I own sirius and its dedicated and i couldnt be more happy.
Ummm... Did ya READ my post? We DID buy dedicated... This is what I'm saying. Bought a dedicated tuner - the MANUFACTURER supplied Sirius tuner, with a good deck (it was the 5415), and it still sounds like shhh, compared to even a standard FM broadcast.
As far as your comment "...that is better than cd quality...", you can't be more wrong. Technically, and even subjectively, there is NO WAY, EVER, that a compressed audio stream could even THINK about sounding better than a direct playback from the CD...

I was giving my two cents. When i said its better than cd quality i was saying that becuase if you throw in a cd and then put on sirius depending on the song i can hear more on sirius than my cds(not burned)

Lizardking 
Copper - Posts: 184
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2005 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
Today my Sirius started making high pitch static and I can barely here the music...What the heck is that all about??  The CD is fine and so is the Radio...
Eclipse "Approaching Perfection"
04mdx4sq 
Copper - Posts: 111
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 29, 2005 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  

Lizardking wrote:
Today my Sirius started making high pitch static and I can barely here the music...What the heck is that all about??  The CD is fine and so is the Radio...

Check the cable that connects the two untis, it may be partially unplugged. This has happened with my Clarion unit once.

As far as my experience with Sirius, it sounds better than FM but falls short of CD. (although I have heard some very poor sounding CDs, but that is not the fault of the format, just the recording). I have it for the same reason many people have iPods, just to have convinient access to more music content. In my set-up, the audio is fed into the deck via RCA style interconnects as my deck does not have Sirius control. 

BTW, there are still decks available with digital inputs. My Clarion DRZ9255 has selectable in/out on the digital connection. This is nearly useless unless you are using it for a Clarion DVD player to use the 24bit DACs, as it is the strange Clarion proprietry digital co-ax plug. I really don't believe the DACs in the Sirius tuner are the source of poor SQ, it seems to be more a product of compression.

04 MDX - Clarion DRZ9255 / MB Quart QAA4250 / MB Quart QSD216 / Orion Concept 97.2 / JL Audio 10w6v2
91 GMC Syclone - Delco tape deck
90 Syclone powered 2wd S10 (for sale) - Pyle CD / Fosgate 4x6
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic