icon

Display units for computer video?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Carfreaknyc 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  

I guess I should qualify what I meant by the display.  I use the factory as a secondary monitor to my original Xenarc 800TSV.  Yes, the composite video source for standard text piped to the OEM display makes normal text unreadable but as the iMobile GUI has larger text it is 100% legible.  (So I use the factory nav for the entertainment value of the iMobile software).

As for the cheap fix it was more of a general statement encompassing the entire Car PC project especially when using a VIA-based board versus an Intel-based board just because they come standard with the S-Video and composite outputs.

An interesting read.....

http://www.tolly.com/TS/2003/Intel%20Corp/CPU%20Testing%20Intel%20Low%20Voltage%20Celeron%20processors/TollyTS203124IntelCeleronSept2003.pdf

us_test 
Copper - Posts: 200
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

I read the article and it is all about performance, nothing about the s-video or composite.  The stuff they talk about is way dated (3 years +) (not to say that it is not enough for a GPS/ in car multimedia system).

If I was to run an OS in a car system it would be Knoppix (knoppix.net), this is Linux modified Kernel.

Let me give you an idea of how good it is on boot up times:

You can run this from a bootable CD without installing it on the hard drive.  I tested this on a Pentium M 1.6GHz HO notebook.  From the CD it booted up, autoconfigured, NIC, VIDEO, TCP/IP in 1.20 minutes (without me even installing a driver).  This is the compared to Windows XP install which is 35-45 minutes. 

This is a speed advantage of 35 to 40 times.  Install Knoppix on the HD and you can boot this in under 10  seconds and as low as 3 or 4 seconds if you know what your're doing with the tweaks.  The fastest I hear XP  booting was 15 seconds, event hibernate is not that much faster/

There are a lot of apps for Knoppix (it comes with DVD player, MP3 standard).  You can also load Knnopix to RAM (you need about 512MB but memory is dirt cheap for mainstream).  You are now running the OS from RAM which blows away hard drive speed.  There are also remastered Live CDs people made of Knoppix to stream line it and make it faster and bootup faster but still have the apps you want (check www.knoppix.net forums).

http://www.livecdlist.com/wiki/index.php/SLAX has a Slackware based version which takes 200MB to install.

www.puppylinux.com has a 60mb install and includes DVD, MP3 palyer, web browser, spreadhseet programs and many more apps.

As far as GPS http://www.gpsdrive.cc/index.shtml has a awesome program already developed for Linux

And there is a great array of other GPS features here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Main_Page

(1) Kenwood Excelon Head Unit KDC-X589 (24 bit Burr Brown DAC, 3 X 4 volt RCA).
(1) RF Punch 250A2 - running the components.
(1) Hifonics 6.5" Atlas Components (18db crossovers).
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
impressive posts guys. highly appreciated input. that unit by radio shack supports 1600x1200 resolutions... now that is beauty in a silicon chip. lol.
anyways, i do appreciate the posts. see you all on the flip side.
Carfreaknyc 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
Dated???  The chipset hadn't evolved since then and the data is whetstone type benchmarking standards....  The Xenarc Celeron 2.0GHz box smokes it.  And as for the GPS/Multimedia part I made no claim of that specifically just that when you put it on a slow box you can infer the performance you'll expect.  After all check out how long it takes to open Word or the like.  Although I do agree on the Linux solutions and they will perform better since the gawky overhead that's consumed by XP services and resources are eliminated.
us_test 
Copper - Posts: 200
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  

Bro it is date technology.  I have currentley a Pentium M (the one you normally run in a notebook) @ 2Ghz. which runs whtestone and 3DMark 2K5 at the leve of a Athon 64 3500 in a mini desktop.  Power consumption is really low (25 % of the power a P4 1.6 Ghz normally takes).  Let me know when your Xenarc Celeron can hit the levels of a Pentium M 2Ghz.

(1) Kenwood Excelon Head Unit KDC-X589 (24 bit Burr Brown DAC, 3 X 4 volt RCA).
(1) RF Punch 250A2 - running the components.
(1) Hifonics 6.5" Atlas Components (18db crossovers).
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic