icon

Neutral safety switch in 2005 subaru wrx

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
Connect the neutral safety wire from the ECU to the brake input on the remote start. You will have to add diodes to prevent the foot brake wire from backfeeding to the neutral wire.
I have done it this way on a few STI's. I'll be doing it to mine next week. Works perfect. If you attempt to remote start in gear, the ignition will flick on for a split second. The remote start will see the 'brake input' wire with +12v on it and it will shut off. The car will never crank.
Also, connect the neutral wire (BLACK/ white on DEI units) from the remote start to the parking brake. It won't attempt to start if the parking brake is not on.
I highly suggest not trying to drive a relay with the ECU's neutral wire. There is a good chance you will burn out the wire.
I have done a handful of 04+ Subaru's using this method. From 02-04 a different method is used since the polarity of the neutral wire is the opposite.
tillithz 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
isnt the neutral switch negitive when in gear? so connecting that to the brake wire which is + works?
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
If it's not the correct polarity then invert it with a relay, look in the relay section to see how.
Steve G
tillithz 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
lol i know how to invert something using a relay. my question is if the neutral switch is negitve or positive. because as topspoiler said it was negitive in his first post in this thread. furthermore, it was said not to use a relay as it would fry the ecu possibly.
JWorm 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
tillithz wrote:
isnt the neutral switch negitive when in gear? so connecting that to the brake wire which is + works?
In 2002-03 the wire shows (-) in gear. In 2004+ the wire shows (+) in gear.
In 2002-03 connecting the neutral wire to the hood pin input works. In 2004+ connecting to the brake input works best.
tillithz 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  

ok well that clears it up a bit for 04 and prior. because topspoiler said it was negitive when in gear.

but believe it when i tell you that it is also ground when NOT in gear on 05 (sti model at least) so instead of putting it on the brake, where itll trigger the alarm for at least a split second then realize that the brake is pressed then stop from starting, it might be better to connect to the override switch to supply ground, and in all honesty a much cleaner install then to the brake wire signal. because without diode isolating it i would assume you would possibly fry the ecu by trying to light a brake light when connecting the neutral safety switch to it.

it would be nice to know if the 04 is negitive in neutral position. I will check the ecu pin out diagram to see if it is set up like the 05 sti. because again, thats a much cleaner install and less work of having to diode isolate and possible damage to ecu over the brake wire solution.

hope this info helps, enjoy.

JWorm 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2005 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
tillithz wrote:

ok well that clears it up a bit for 04 and prior. because topspoiler said it was negitive when in gear.

but believe it when i tell you that it is also ground when NOT in gear on 05 (sti model at least) so instead of putting it on the brake, where itll trigger the alarm for at least a split second then realize that the brake is pressed then stop from starting, it might be better to connect to the override switch to supply ground, and in all honesty a much cleaner install then to the brake wire signal. because without diode isolating it i would assume you would possibly fry the ecu by trying to light a brake light when connecting the neutral safety switch to it.

If you hook up the neutral wire to the brake input of the alarm/remote start it will not set off the alarm if you attempt to remote start in gear. At least it doesn't on a DEI system, I'm not sure about other companies products. The neutral wire does not read ground when in gear with the ignition on. It may show ground in gear with the ignition off, but that is not important.
Hooking the neutral wire to the BLACK/ white neutral safety input of a DEI remote start will work. I used that method in a Subaru Baja before. I don't like that method because I hook up the parking brake wire to the BLACK/ white neutral safety input of a DEI remote start. My way checks to make sure the parking brake is engaged, and it is in neutral.
tillithz wrote:

it would be nice to know if the 04 is negitive in neutral position. I will check the ecu pin out diagram to see if it is set up like the 05 sti. because again, thats a much cleaner install and less work of having to diode isolate and possible damage to ecu over the brake wire solution.

04 and 05 is the same.   I had an 02 before, and now have an 05 Sti. I have also done installs on every year from 2002-2005.
If you don't know how to use diodes, you shouldn't be attempting this type of install.
tillithz 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2005 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  

what are you talking about jworm? I have an understanding on connecting diodes. the question was not how to use a diode, but whether or not the 04 was the same, since it has been stated to be different ways in this thread, its rather complicated to know who to believe unless I have an 04 model in front of me.

I appreciate that you mentioned you have in fact done it the same way I mentioned, but due to it not checking the parking break you do not prefer that install method. You could actually connect a relay with a third ign. To say 86 and the parking break to say 85 and the neutral switch to 30 and then 87 to your master over ride (neutral switch) on alarm. This would give you both neutral safety and parking break. Assuming of course theres no disagreement that the parking break is ground when in gauged.

I just wanted to post this way for others to see and use if they so desired. Frankly, its just worth it to prove the point that:

a) the initial info that the 05 rests at positive and to connect it to the brake wire, was a little lacking and a modification to the install would result in a better/cleaner install using the “when in gear” polarity.

b) topspoiler was wrong when he said it was a certain polarity in gear/not in gear

c)it is NOT safe to connect the neutral safety switch to power a relay or even a light then, as JWorm mentioned on the 2nd page

In the end, all I was offering to the reader is that it functions perfectly fine, and in my opinion better then prev. mentioned. But when OTHER people posted stating that “in gear is negative and when its in neutral is nothing”  I felt the need to correct this false info. And when it is posted that “not trying to drive a relay with the ECU's neutral wire” then in turn it would make sense to NOT drive a bulb, or even 2 or three, which is what the brake system is in the sti. As far as doing damage this system has been in my vehicle since I posted with absolutely no problems, no missed starts, no ecu burnouts, nothing negative.

So the insult that “If you don't know how to use diodes, you shouldn't be attempting this type of install.” Is silly because apparently if I was competent enough to find this alternative way to install, and correct the accepted info then apparently I have an understanding of how to use a diode. Maybe if its still unclear to the reader, go back and read from the FIRST post in this thread, because all this back and forth is confusing to say the least. Just because I have 8 or 9 posts certainly does not dictate my installation knowledge level too, but simply that I do not or have not posted much here.

Anyways I hope the info explained here that is truthful is helpful to someone.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic