icon

Unwanted Thump Noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrmsudawgs 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
I previously addressed this issue in this forum under this thread.      My problem is that I am having a random, deep-sounding "thump" that randomly comes from my sub. It sometimes is just a single "thump" but it has come in twos, threes, and even more in very quick, machine-gun-like sucession. This is a real booger of a problem. I thought I had solved the problem but I was incorrect. Unwanted Thump Noise - Last Post -- posted image.
I have tried everything I know to do and I have checked every connection multiple times. Tonight, I even ran a 4 gage ground wire from my amp directly to the negative battery terminal just to eliminate faulty grounding. No dice. The thump noise is still there.
I have also disconnected all inputs to my amp and even the outputs except for the sub's speaker wires. In short, the amp had a 12V turn on wire, power wire, ground wire, and a single set of sub wires going to my sub. I did this to eliminate the head unit as a source of thump noise. The thump was still present which told me that the head unit was not to blame.
The only components left in the equation are the sub and the amp. I am betting it is the amp but I would like to here some of the expert's opinions on this problem. Please let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Mike
My Installation
My Recent Posts In The Polk Audio Forum
2000 F150 Supercab Lariat, Alpine CDA-9831, Polk MMC570 in Doors, One Polk MM2104 Sub, One Polk Carbon C400.4 Amp.
John 3:16
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
I was having the same problem. It was my amp. If you have another amp just switch it out and see if the thumping goes away.
'85 Toy
mrmsudawgs 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2005 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply! What type of amp did you have? Was it a Polk?
2000 F150 Supercab Lariat, Alpine CDA-9831, Polk MMC570 in Doors, One Polk MM2104 Sub, One Polk Carbon C400.4 Amp.
John 3:16
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2005 at 7:42 AM / IP Logged  
No, it was a Crossfire amp.
'85 Toy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic