icon

Alarm and starter installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
corolla99 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
I have installed an aftermarket alarm on my car. I have just purchaced a remote starter to install as well. (manual transmission) I was wondering, the alarm itself is hooked up to my headlights and horn, when I disable my alarm the horn beeps and headlights remain on for 30 seconds. The remote starter I have bought hooks up to the lights and horn as well. How would I go about doing this? Will I need to add a diode on both wires from the alarm and starter going to the headlight circut? And will I need to do this to the horn as well? Also is there a way that I could hook up the remote starter so that the alarm would deactivate when I attempt to start the car. I was wondering this because the alarm has 500 feet range, but my starter has 1/2 mile range. Thanks for the help. ~Andrew
Andrew
corolla99 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

The starter is for a manual transmission, I have installed these before but not with a seperate alarm, just the manual transimission starters with the alarm built in.

Andrew
Montrealler 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
You just need to tap in parallel for parking and horn.à
For the starter you do the same on the output side of the starter kill.
Put the ignition wire from the alarm on the radio accessory.
Make sure that the starter kill relay remain wired on the ignition.
Badly I will sugest you to sell your alarm and to install a combo .
Trust Me.
Also giving info on your car and car starter brand may brought you better and more specific answer.
corolla99 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply, The car I am installing the starter on is a 1999  Toyota Corolla VE. The remote starter I plan on installing is The bulldog Model deluxe 500 which can be seen at www.bulldogsecurity.com and the installation manual can be seen by clicking on installation manuals at the top of the page. I understand that the easiest way for me would be to install an alarm/starter combo. However the alarm I have is the Astra 100 which can be seen at www.scytek.net. The alarm was the best I could buy in my area at the time of purchace and has served me well and I really did not want to sell it. The problem I was afraid of encountering with installing a starter with this alarm together was when I disable the alarm and the lights remain on for 30 seconds, if I tried to start the car, the lights are also supposed to "blink" to confirm start. If the alarm has the lights on, and the starter also tries to blink the lights at the same time, is it going to screw up anything either in the car or in the starter/alarm. This is why I was wondering if I installed a diode on both the wires from the starter and the alarm going to the light circut as well as the horn would it be beneficial? I understand that starter installation has much complication already, so I wanted to make sure this was not going to be another problem even before I begin to put it in my car. Once again thank you for the reply and I will look forward to hearing back from you.
Andrew
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
the main problem I see is that if you have the car armed and RS it, it could trigger the shock sensor. It could also trigger the voltage sense of the alarm.
So everytime you RS the car, it will set off the alarm. I would take the alarm out and upgrade to a 5000RS or another brand of combo unit.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic