icon

Hardwiring LED's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
a_l_e_X1 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2005 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  

There's NOTHING wrong with the resistor's placement in second image. It doesn't matter where it is, as long as it drops the remaining voltage (at a given current). It can even be placed between two consecutive LEDs.

The thing is that LEDs will drop 3 volts each, for a total of 9 volts for 3 LEDs in series. There remains 3 volts that should be "dropped" by something. That something is a resistor, calculated using the 3 volts "to drop" divided by the total current through the group.

I assumed that ALL LEDs are same, rated at 3 volts and 20 mA. That way, you can put groups in parallel with only one resistor (the current through the resistor will increase, decreasing its value and increasing the dissipated power).

Of course, if you have mismatched LEDs, then you will have to recalculate the resistor value for each group, and you probably couldn't put them in parallel with only 1 resistor (like in 3rd image).

Alex

customcarchris 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2005 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  

My mistake, I was thinking backwards.

As for the parallel, I don't do that because I bought some 4000mcd red LEDs once and didn't have enough so I bought a few more and they ended up being 5000mcd and a different mA, can't quite remember what though.  Anyway, I was working with them and got them mixed up.  They are all red and I was not able to tell the difference, not really on the brightness either so having them in parallel might not be the best decision.  Although they were the same voltage and I ended up averaging the mA rating for the resistorsand they worked fine.

Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
a_l_e_X1 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, that website is great. Everyone should check it for a HUGE amount of info :)

Chris, no problem. As long as the current isn't TOO different, you're fine. If it's higher, than your LEDs will be brighter, if it's lower, they will be dimmer. It's just that a LED can't drop too much voltage (because its equivalent internal resistance is VERY small, so if you increase the voltage a little, like 2 volts, the current goes higher exponentially).

-Alex

jeepmansro 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
I think hardwiring neon or LED lights really give your car a custom look and it makes it look like you really put alot of work into your car... and it dosent look like it was bought at auto zone or somehting. It makes it look alot more expensive than it really is...
a_l_e_X1 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  

LOL, yea, I'm 100% with you here, jeepmansro.

The inconvenience with neons is that they break easily, not as long-lasting (as far as I know) and consume much more current (need a bigger alternator). LEDs can be ran over with a truck several times and nothing will happen to them. They last longer and are very little consumers. The problem with LEDs though is that the light is concentrated (focused) and not as diffused (going in all directions) as neons. But that's not a problem, right???

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic