icon

Best amp to power to Infinity Perfects?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jdog0411 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
I have one Infinity Perfect 12 (single voice coil) rated at 350w rms, and I want to get another one to run a pair of them. They will be in a dual chamber sealed box with about 1.25 cubic feet of space each. I would like to run each of them at 350-400 watts into a 2 ohm load (subs wired in parallel). What would be good amp to match up well with this setup? I'm assuming I need a mono amp that pushes at least 750 watts rms, so that when I split it between the two subs it will half the power to each..is this correct? Thanks....
2004 BMW 325ci.
Alpine CDA-9885
JL 300/4 and 250/1
JL XR 5.25 comps
Infinity Kappa Perfect 12
nowlater123 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2005 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  

Try an Orion 6002 amplifier. It runs true 600 x 1(mono) watt RMS, and would be more than enough to power the Perfects.

And yes,if you wire them in parallel, they will run at a 2 ohm load.

Kenwood all the Way!
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
I'd use a Phoenix Gold X600.1 That's 300 to each, which with that much airspace for each sub, will push both to full excursion. Damn good subs.
Paul
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
If you want to run a full 300 - 400 watts a sub, that box design is too big. I put my pair in an *identically* sized enclosure and ran a JL 500/1 to it.
Really nasty and boomy... anything lower than like 40 - 50 hz would overextend the things licketly split.
On the other hand, I wired the same setup to 8-ohms.. about 125watts/woofer... and they did real well. Not nearly as loud, but they could handle the power much better and sounded great playing a range of music.
Still... truth be told I'm an 'aggressive user' and I really like rap music.. so.. I wired the same pair back to 4-ohms in a *much* smaller box.. about 1.9cft net, and they sounded as good playing jazz and classical and all that soft stuff.. but switching over to ODB was just as satisfying. Tight, loud bass.
From the Sounddomain.com description:
The Perfect is designed to deliver kick-butt bass in small sealed enclosures.
I would normally never use a quote like this to make a point, but I'm really serious when I tell you, they aren't kidding.
*small* sealed.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
I had mine in a 1 cubic foot gross box. Powered it with 400 watts, and never had a problem with overexcursion, unless I just pushed the amp into clipping.
Paul
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
Yea that seemed to be the cut-off for great-sound/overextention... I built a half-dozen boxes for my pair before they were stolen and anything much larger than 1/ft/sub really didn't do well with the amp wired to 2-ohms..
I've heard of ppl having poor results in ported enclosures as well. Don't know anything about that though, didn't ever try one, didn't have the space.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic