icon

Wiring Still

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I posted on this a while back. And got a response. I'm moving (2)12" L5 2ohm DVC into a sealed box. I already know I'm gonna need like 4 ft^3 for the airspace and worked the measurements out. Now I need to know how to wire it up. When I originally purchased the subs the store and I talked about wiring the subs to a 1 ohm load. Which according to the calculator on the site it is not possible. Anyone have any options how to get that load down? Really would like to be able to pull this off or I could be a bit aggitated. Considerably at the shop where we discussed it getting down to 1 ohm. Thanks for any help, I'd rather not need to buy a sub/s that will fit better. Running the Memphis Belle that has like a 1000wRMS @ 1 ohm or whatever for mono channel.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
not possible unless you use either two amps, or a two channel amp.
The options are all in parallel = 0.5ohm. Series parallel= 2Ohm. ALl series = 8ohm.
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  

Well the fing blows... Not happy now. That's like half the power I paid for doing nothing. So now am I better buying like new subs or new amp/s? I'm guessing subs most likely. So I'll probably look at like JL Audio if possible.

Any suggestions on sub/s that will fit better is appreciated.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
JAydawg21 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
Well, if your going to stick with that amp, I would go with 1 monster 2 ohm DVC sub.  If JL is your bag, 1000 watts is optimum power for a 13" w7.  Trow er in a JL H.O. box and bam!  I've  heard good tings.  Either way your best bet to getting a 1 ohm load would be a single 2 ohm DVC sub.
'97 Jeep Cherokee sport
subs: JL 12w3v2 : RF 500a2 :
RF 1F capacitor
doors: 6" Diamond D361i -> RF 200a4
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
Well, you could buy another amp and run one sub off of each amp with the VCs wired in parallel for a 1ohm load.
Or better yet, get an amplifier that can handle a 0.5ohm loadWiring Still - Last Post -- posted image.
ds1434 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  

i'm a JL and Memphis dealer and the 13w7 would be a great sub I agree but man is it pricey!!!  And also the 13w7 is a dual 1.5 ohm coil and you may run into protection problem running them in parallel and series you're losing power output

if it were me and my car I would prob. throw (3)12w3v2-d6(all coils in parallel to get 1 ohm) in a 3.75ft3 sealed enclosure and still come in a little bit cheaper than the single 13w7 and have some serious slammin sub bass

but you have a million different options as far as subs go so happy searching!!!!

TechHead
JAydawg21 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2005 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  

ahh  I didn't realize that JL got all fussy with the voice coils on the w7's.  So in light of the new info, I def. agree with ds1434 bout the 3 12w3v2's.  That will def. slam!!   However, I dont know about the sealed enclosure.  I just had a recent trauma involving 2 10w3’s in a sealed box.  I was really unhappy with them, took ‘em back and was about to go with a whole other brand after years of loyal JL patronage.  But I tried out a 12w3 in a custom curved slot ported box and I LOVE IT. 

Anyway, personal experience would lead me to recommend (strongly) going with a ported box with w3’s.  It’s a little easier on the amp as well.  But if you like sealed you like sealed.  Either way 3 of those ought to sound awesome.

'97 Jeep Cherokee sport
RF 1F capacitor
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2005 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  

I'll check the w3's out at the store when I go to get my HU fixed. See if they have any ideas. I believe I'd like to go sealed to see how it sounds for me. Now I have a question. Say I throw 3 subs at it like that, will the power distribute evenly among those three? Basically I'm not wanting to exceed the 400wRMS recommendation for each of those. The other concern I have is trunk space, three 12s will be REALLY hard to get in my trunk. I can barely fit the 2 L5s with a ported box.

Whoops NM, I accidentally was looking at w6v2s. Anymore suggestions are welcome. :) I'm gonna start looking. I am kinda favorable of the single sub setup to be honest.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
JAydawg21 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2005 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  

Wow, I'm suprised about the trunk space issue. I would figure a monte would have a fairly large trunk.  Oh well.  If your looking for a good single sub, in my recent quest for my own sub, I listened to a 12" speaker made by a little known compay called TREO.  The series I listened to was the SSi 12 incher.  I LOVED it.  I took it as a loner for a night and almost didnt return it.  I ended up with a 12w3 simply because it was $100 cheaper and that sub deserved a little more power than I could provide.  But it sounded great, looked great, and I like the fact that not many people have heard of them.  They are famous in the spl world for their competition CSX series, which would NOT be a very good daily driver sub), but the other series sounded great. 

I dont know if you'd even be able to find a dealer near you but I think they'd be worth listening to if you can find one.  Here's the web site --> http://www.treoonline.com/     Let me know if you decide to give one a listen too.

'97 Jeep Cherokee sport
RF 1F capacitor

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic