icon

Memphis, kicker or alpine subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Glowinlow22 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 22, 2005 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

My g/f is looking to put together a cheaper system, so far theres an alpine m-350 v power amp with 200 watts rms at 4ohm and 350 at 2 ohms, i was looking  at memphis power reference 15"  dvc sub if i recall right its a dual 4 ohm sub right?  also looking at the kicker comp 15" as i'm trying to run a single sub that will have decent sq and good spl, i really want the system to be loud and sound pretty good to. I was also thinking about alpine type s subs maybe type rs but i'm trying to keep the cost of the sub under or as close to 100 as possible preferably under as she doesnt have a whole lot to work with, thanks in advance guys.

J~

Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2005 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

For the amount of money you will pay and the amount of output you will get I would go with the Memphis PR 15....

Very efficient sub and relitively low cost....The redesigned PR sub line is amazing for an entry class item...I have sold LOTS of these subs...

Get that 15 put it in a standard ported 15"enclosure (Doesnt have to be built specifically for that sub) Audio Enhacers makes a Sing ported 15" box for memphis subs and that PR 15 sounds great in it...

Toss in a Dash of Power say ohhh 500 watts Memphis 16-MCD500 (500 Watts @ 2Ohm) OR whatever

Shake vigorously and boom a stereo system...

Memphis, kicker or alpine subs? - Last Post -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2005 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
note that he is a memphis rep
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2005 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not a Rep but I am a salesman at a shop and we carry Memphis as one of our main brands....

I am also a Memphis customer of 5 yrs now and I Really like their product...I havent had any trouble out of my equipment and in the 6yrs I have been selling memphis I have never had any problems moving their equipment or had customers complain about Memphis Equipment...

Just wanted to clear that up...The little badge is just Mine and some friends car club insignia...

Memphis, kicker or alpine subs? - Last Post -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2005 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  

thank you for the info on memphis, i've never heard a bad thing about them or any product their name is on so thats all the convincing i need :),  looks like the alpine amp with an upgrade to 4ga wiring as it only requires 8ga, just to make sure its getting a full 14 volts for peak power, pushing 350 watts @ 2ohms feeding a pr15 dvc in a sealed box, Now my question is when i build the box i've got a range from 1.5 cu ft to 3 cu ft, i'm trying to make the bass tight in the car theres alot of techno, rock and technical stuff along with some rap songs played  i've had really good luck with sealed boxes and have heard they respond better to technical, fast bass parts than slot ported boxes.  my thinking is if i run the box between 1.5 to 2 cu ft it should make the bass alittle tighter, the only problem i see is will this choke off some of the deeper bass notes?  I'm planning to build this out of fiberglass and 3/4 mdf as i've had good luck with fiberglass boxes in the past, so before i set resin to mat i would deffinatly like some opinions..... Smaller or larger and what will i gain from both?   thanks again, in advance

J~

Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2005 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
that's not you and a friends car club logo, that's a memphis logo "soul patrol", i used to be a memphis dealer too, unless you just took their logo and call it your car club logo....... anyways... the memphis's are nice, i wasn't saying they aren't, i just think he should make sure and hear other opinions, because as a memphis dealer, you may be a bit bias'd... haha,, but they are good.. Memphis, kicker or alpine subs? - Last Post -- posted image.
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2005 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
i would make the box 2.25 cubes if you go larger  it will be louder  just my 2 cents
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Glowinlow22 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2005 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  

ok so if i go larger it'll be louder, BUT if i go larger since i'm actually giving the sub 150watts more than it wants wouldnt it also speed up the destruction of the sub? it was my understanding that a smaller enclosure will allow the sub to cope with the extra push being given to it, as well as the extra push adding back the volume that you lost for the most part? as it is now i'm figuring my end box to be right around 2 cu ft with all the internal bracing and the sub taking up  space in the box. Now i'm building it from 3/4 mdf  lots of bracing and i'm planning to add polyfill what would you guys recommend for sound dampening?

J~

Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2005 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
box building is very scientific, you can't just say larger is better or louder....
What you want is a ported box, probally tuned to a little below 40 Hz.....i don't do ported boxes much, but if you want loud, that's a good way to go......bandpass will be loud but sound like crap...
Also, look into the infinity Kappa Perfect subs. They are a little over $100 (like $120 on the right sites, use froogle.com), but to me it's an awsome sub. Very clear, pretty loud, and cheap (compared to other clear/loud subs)
-Drew

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic