icon

Noob question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
upallnight 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2005 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  

I am attempting to wire several car audio/video components into a home unit. It will have a 6 inch lcd pop-out screen( Innovatek IN-650D), a dvd/ tv tuner( Innovatek FD-16) and an am/fm cd( Pioneer DEH-P7700MP). My three main questions are:

1)How do I power this monster? A 12v ac/dc adapter? if so, what ma and watt?

2)How do I wire for the ignition/accsessory power in for the tuner/dvd?

3)How do I run power for the clock display on the lcd?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 24, 2005 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
In three simple words:  don't do it.  If it's made for a car, install it in a car.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2005 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
... are you installing into a car or into a home? hahaha.
I am attempting to wire several car audio/video components into a home unit.
into a home unit implies you'r taking it outta the car and into the house. why? i dont' know that i want to know.
*chuckles*
you'd have to test the units running in your car, you can find out amperage and crap by using a voltmeter that has the options, and then you could plan which ac to dc converter you'd like to use.
but ultimately - why? it'd be cheaper and less headache-ish to just simply use crap made for the home in the home
upallnight 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 5:25 AM / IP Logged  

The quick rundown on why I am using this gear. I am attempting to assemble a system using both automotive A/V equipment and PC components. It will be used as a media server (mp3, video and data) in both the car and the home. I can power it in the car quite simply, but I am at a loss as to how to power it at home. I know this has been done before, but I am unable to contact the people who have done it to find out how it was done.

I was hoping for more than a "don't do it". I am a pc installer, and in the (PC) groups I often read/ post in car buffs often ask how to install odd PC gear in their cars, such as printers and wireless servers.  We try to help as best we can, we don't say "it was made to be plugged into a wall, so don't do it", we have tried to help people solve both their power issues and the problems with running wires into some very odd places. If you have a helpful response, I am always willing to listen. If all I can get is discouragement I don’t need that.

SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
Although it is still not recommended as you can see form the above posts, it can be done.  YOu just need a high amperage "power supply" which is an AC to DC converter.  YOu just need enough amperage to operate the units you are running.  My guess for that equipment would be about 30 - 40 amps under the largest current draw.  You can hook them up in a car, and test the current draw using a DMM.  You can get a 12 volt rocker switch to run the ignition/accessory wire on all of the units.  I am not familiar with the exact power required for clock of the lcd(constant or switched) but I would either wire it to the switch or to the power supply depending.
Good Luck!
-Thad
adrianspeeder 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2005 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, simple enough. What is the total wattage of everything you want to run? From there using amps = watts / volts (12) you get the amount of amps you are pulling. Or just measure that in your car with a proper meter. Then go to radio shack or an electronics supply house to get a 12v power supply that can make the required amps.
Adrianspeeder
'02 F250 PSD, '97 F-150, '71 F-100, '66 F-250, '93, '92, '88, '84 Broncos
Penn State electrical engineerin' major

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic