icon

Stupid Mistakes?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2002 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  

well just the other day i did an amp install and had everything working great and then we tried to start the car and nothing  so i get the jump starter out and jump it ok so we get it running and about 15 mins later we turn it offf try and start later and it wont start so we dont know what happened .the guy comes and calls his tow truck company thinking the starter was gone and wanting a tow,well the tow truck comes but here is the thing after about 5 minutes the car is running the wire right behind the battery came off of the starter solenoid duh what a dumb mistake.

DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2002 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah well....I had a store manager nagging me, no other installers to help me, and was told my job rode on this install...if I messed up I was fired..and I was the next day...and ever since than...I've pursued a different career mostly because I hate how teh store personnel think they can order an installer around, and how some installers think they are a God, but dont' like to admit their little screw-ups...I tried working at another store this year, and quit after 2 months...same game, jsut the names changed...so now I do this stuff on the side when i need a little extra money...a shame really...I used to love doing this stuff...but unless I need the cash..I won't even install anything for a friend...atleast not in Car Audio or Security. I went into installing MDT's ( Laptops in Cars and Trucks..SBC)...got laid off..more times than I can count...so....I'm now a Building Inspector.  This is merely a side gig..

All I think now when I look at the MECP Basic and MECP First Class Certifications on my wall is this.....It was a fun idea to have as a career...but, I really wish i had the money back...oh well they expire next year...actually in 36 days.....meh

Đễẳ†ђş 12\/ Ĵęśŧē®™
SnomanF150 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2002 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  

DJ, if you look at the MECP Tests as something, don't.. they are a joke.. a saleman can get it.. I took the First Class test in 91.. got it and never took anything again.. I know what I can do.. My installs and referalls speak for themselves.. As far as Mr. 6 Year,  I know I f**ked up a A/C condensor.. Big deal.. that's why we have insurance in the shop, but for you to be as so bold to call us 'Gomers' when we do something.. I know that you are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and NEVER have a mistake, but the AC thing was something that happens.. you can't do this for 17 years and NOT have something like this happen..

DJ, need a job in Louisiana, look me up.. just roll down the windows first thing you do when you pull in a job (LOL)

George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2002 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  

SnomanF150, I never called you a gomer, I said you pulled a gomer. I'm not into calling names like little children do.  You just need to relax.  Breathe in.... Breath Out....., Breathe in....... Breath Out..... Thats it, nice and easy. Now don't we all feel better.

Oh yeah, and learn to take a joke over the internet, like Securinu must have, he knew I was kidding.

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
securinu 
Silver - Posts: 772
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2002 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  

well like i said the amp wasnt me , i know you guys dont believe me but oh well, now that i have had a few days to think about it i will fess up to my dumbest mistake.

now keep in mind this was after 2 weeks of installing , way back when most alarms didnt do things such as locks and start and all those things you youngins take for granted. i was installing an UNGO BOX alarm sometime in the late 80's and i had this dodge shadow roll in the bay, well i could not figure out the locks , well i finally figured them out and figured i had to get them in the driver door but there wasnt enough room for relays in the door so i had to extend just the motor wires into the interior of the car right? so the customer didnt want to see wires and the boot between the dor and body was too tight to get 2 sets of speaker wire thru . so i came up with this brilliant plan to use the wire from home alarms we did , yes otherwise known as telephone wire , hey i figured 4 wires encased in a jacket small , what more could i ask for right, well i am sure you all are laughing so the first time i hit the remote it was like a fuse to a firecracker the whole line melted and burned the pattern into the bottom of the carpet.  So now you now my stupid mistake and i am sure i will get flamed but lets see who else is brave enough to put something here. remember this is all for fun , and now that i have cleansed my install soul i can now installl without a bad conscience.Stupid Mistakes? - Page 2 -- posted image.

PS does anyone want to buy a 500 ft box of telephone wire missing about 6 feet ???   cheap cheap cheap.....

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2002 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Securinu, i know you didn't drill 4 holes in a dash board I was just joking but it is hard to show that sometimes in written message.  Anytime someone prefaces a story with "i know everyone is going to say sure it wasn't you", I cant help but at least joke with them saying  "Sure it wasnt you, I heard that one before". You know what I mean.   Ouch! on the carpet, did the floor mat cover it up at least? I've broken a few clips pulling door panels off before and have come up with some pretty interesting fixes.  On a honda I had to pop off a small plastic piece covering a screw and the little clip holding it in broke like nothing, so I used a small piece of gum to keep it in place....Really professional huh?
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
SnomanF150 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2002 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  

I actually do know a guy that (this was before air saws were readily avalible) he cut a hole in a door panel for a 6.5 with tin snips.. When he cut it out the hole was too, by just a little.. now why he did this, I have no Idea.. didn't ask, but if took a round over file and starts filing away... tapping the outer door skin and when he finished, you could see the outline of a perfect 6.5 speaker hole on the outside of the door.. just the dents.. This was at another shop in Baton Rouge.. I was at Mobile One in NOLA when this happend..I know someone that has probably done the MOST embarrassing thing in the world.. ripped a door off.. (actually know two people that did this..) Just forgot to close the door and backed it out of a shop..one was a 911 that got hooked on a competition truck we had in the Bay in NOLA.. and one was a lincoln (brand new)  The lincoln was done by a guy that had been installing for like two weeks.. asked him how he liked working there.. actually that guy went on to build an IASCA Vehical and was points leader in his division for a few years running..

those are really the funniest things I can think of..

I can take a Joke, JR.. You just came off as sounding like someone who thinks he never screws up.. Everybody has a f-up at one time or another.. whether it is one major one, or a bunch of little minor ones,  one things for sure, they will all cost you money, or a job, in the end..

George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
DeathsJester12V 
Silver - Posts: 352
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2002 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  

Take a joke...I can...Deal with egos...... I can't...

But it's all good....in the 'hood...Ain't no thing but a chicken wing on a string...we all screw up, we all laugh...

Lock keys in, drill through gas lines, drill through a/c condensors, break panel clips, lose screws, break lights, kill batteries, burn carpets, bend hoods, break panels....yada yada yada.....

Talk smack act all big and bad, eventually we all screw up...if you think you never will, ask any mechanic, they screw up to...they just never tell anyone......

Đễẳ†ђş 12\/ Ĵęśŧē®™
TeeRizo 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2002 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, check this out. I was doing an install on this 2002 Mercedes 600, puttin' in a DVD player. Well I had to take out the Instrument Panel Cluster and all that sh*t. The only bad thing was it was a digital dash, and i forgot to wear a ground strap. Anyway I fried all the IC's in there and it cost $5000 for the dealership to fix it. But the good thing was that the owner of the car was Juwan Howard, and he said not to worry about the damaged IPC. Stupid Mistakes? - Page 2 -- posted image.
SnomanF150 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2002 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
Damn dude.. you're one lucky bastard!!!!  Gotta love those customers..
George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic