icon

Repairing foam suround on subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
03taurus 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 01, 2005 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

I have two kicker 10" comp subs that the foam is almost all the way off on one sub and about half gone on the other.  I thought my speakers were just blown, but after looking under my grills(fine mesh which you can't see though), I discovered I can see right inside my sub box.  The speakers have been sounding worse and worse for the past 6 months.  The past 2 weeks it doesn't even sound like subs are in the car. 

I know they can replace the foam surround on the subs for $35-50 at most speaker repair shops.  My concern is would be that I ran these speakers for so long in this condition, would I have harmed them by over exersion or something like that?  The less bass I heard, the more I turned up the remote knob on my Epicenter.  I don't want to put $$$ in subs that are going to be crap anyways.  Is there a way to test the sub, before I take it into the shop so I don't wast money on them it they are bad.  I know you can also replace the voice coil, spider, etc. but by that time I could of just about bought brand new subs with a warrenty. 

The way I see it I could spend:

$100 or so to repair both subs and pray, pray, pray that they work good.

$220 for two brand new Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1d subs from etronics.com this includes the shipping and handling. 

I will be making a desision on this sometime this week as I want to have this working back up to par by next weekend. 

rallysport 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2005 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
i wouldnt waste the money, besides i believe the kicker buy one get one free promotion is still going on so you could get 2 brand new comps for less than the cost of repairing em.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2005 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
CC=buy one get one on comps. Until Sept 3
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
stavy customs1 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  
Get new subs i always tell customers never fix old equipment unless its expensive as hell equip
Best Buy Installer
03taurus 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
OK I am pretty much sold on the Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1d.  I am staying away from Kickers for a while, since I am not impressed with their newer models.  For the same $$ that I payed for the Kickers a few years, I can get speakers that are much better.  etronics.com had them for $220 shipped for the pair, but are currently out of stock.  Cardomain is my next choice I guess, $255 for the pair shipped.  I searched locally and no one really carries the Infinity line, besides the Basslink.  Go figure.....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic