icon

Hugfen Capacitor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Samt18 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
Hey fellas I just put in two 15" BMF subs and a 1000D amp and am getting some light dimming and cutting out when the power drops below 11 volts.  I've got to add something to help with the power situation, and a lot of people have told me to get a capacitor.  I know a lot of people on here don't like them either though.  What would you guys recommend?  Also, if I did go with a capacitor, is this a good model?  http://www.acaraudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=1483
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
Take that 120 bucks, and apply it to a 250 dollar alternator... money better spent in my opinion, and you are already half-way there... The cap will not improve a low voltage condition like you are having right now.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
ok thats kinda what i was thinking as well.  i think an upgraded alternator is the way to go.  any suggestions?  i've got a 2003 explorer, and don't know how to calculate the amount of amperes I'm going to need.
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
with that amp i would go for about 120 ampers above your stock alternater if its more than what you need the extra power may come in handy later and do you factory mains keep up with those 15"s ?
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
Just get the fattest one you can find... Don't worry about "coming close". The larger you get, the longer it will last. A possible source for you might be here...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
i didnt see one on there that would fit my vehicle...maybe i just overlooked it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic