icon

MTX 22'' Jackhammer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2005 at 7:36 PM / IP Logged  

Oh if i had money and time i would do it just to say i put that beast in a car. But good luck re-enforcing your suspension and building an sealed box with steel, then lifting the beast in. By the way this thing was designed for hummers and cars like that i serously doubt your honda engine could handle hauling all that steel and sub.

audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2005 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst---
I will see what I can do about the T/S parameters. I personally have not seen a list of them or heard anyone talking about them at all. but I will talk to the engineer working on it and see if I can get them. the x-max is 2.5 inches
russ lund--
I am not sure why they didnt mention it, but it is coming. look here for most of the stuff you may want to know --- http://www.thetrue22.com/specs_01.htm
audiomechanic 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2005 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
^^^Yeah saw it. Only hit 100db with over 6000watts pushing it. But they were running it free air in the car.
the meter that they put in the car was only able to read up to about 110dB. it was just a cheapy there for the effect. once it got over 110 it freaked out and jumped around.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 08, 2005 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
How about a listing of ALL the T/S parameters... please include *linear* (please, NOT mechanical) Xmax and Le.

Remember that it uses a very large diameter spider, so it probably can do the 60mm excursion claimed.  I would be interested in what the Le is as well (at a given Re).  However they could keep it down by using a 2 layer coil.

chronos 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
I saw Pimp My Ride tonight and saw this beast. Yeah, cheap SPL meter. But you know what this thing reminds me of? Back in the day, the Phoenix Gold Cyclone. Any of you remember that about 8 years ago? Maybe I'm just getting old. At the time, "Yeah, we're gonna produce it and sell it, but you gotta be on a waiting list." All SPL and no SQ like this thing. 120db at 10Hz? Yeah, it was awesome.
At the time, I had 4 12W1-8s wired in parallel (1 ohm) mono to a Phoenix Gold ZX350 (my Soundstream 500sx kept blowing up). It metered at 142dB all day from 35Hz to 50. And kick drums hit so hard it felt you were taking hooks from Mike Tyson.
Point is, SPL is not determined by xmax, low freq is not determined by Fs, SQ is not determined by Qts. It's a combination of all these things...and more.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 4:20 AM / IP Logged  

chronos wrote:
 All SPL and no SQ like this thing. 

I've got to disagree with you there.  The Cyclone was an SQ sub based on the Servodrive motor technology.  It was great at producing sub-bass frequencies cleanly.  However it didn't have much upper frequency bandwidth, which IMO would make it a poor sub to choose for SPL competitions.  The Jackhammer is just standard speaker technology scaled up.

audiomechanic 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  
the jackhammer somes with 2 cone,voicecoil, and spider options that are field replaceable. one is a longer throw for normal listening and the other is stiffer and has a shorter throw for higher frequencies used in SPL.
I posted some pics of a prototype the box that will be available for it. look at the link in my sig.
http://homepage.mac.com/trevordobrygoski/PhotoAlbum8.html
I will try and get some more info on the sub today.
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, actually the cyclone was developed to be used like a subsonic freq. producer, like a "helper sub", in conjunction with a normal sut up. the idea was to reproduce every frequency, and that weird loking tube thingy did it. application-sq.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
chronos 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 2:55 AM / IP Logged  
I opened a can of worms on this one I did.
Yeah, the cyclone was designed with sub freq reproduction in mind, and it did kick ass at that. But where did it really shine for that? 30Hz and lower. On the edge of audible sound. Not very useful for SQ in my opinion.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic