icon

2 subs or 1?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
choover567 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  

would 2 subwoofers at 500 watts each sound about the same as 1 subwoofer with 1000 watts going to it? (lets say, the subs are 1100watts rms)?? because i just unhooked one of mine and wired the other one to 2ohms and so its going at 1000 right now by it self, seems louder... this true?

Chris - 97 Toyota 4Runner
Alpine CDA-9884
Kicker SX1250.1
Kicker 15" L7
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not sure I'd always agree with this myself, but the usual rules of thumb:

doubling of power = +3dB

doubling of cone area = +6dB

I'd imagine ya'd lose something like 3dB.  Uhh.  I dunno someone correct me if I'm wrong..?

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged  

In a perfect installation, two woofers that each get 500 watts would achieve +3 db over one sub getting 1000 watts.

• 2 X 500 = 1000.  1000 = 1000.  No change in power, result:  no change in db.
  • 2 subs instead of 1 sub = double the cone area = +3 db.  Or, in this case, 1 sub instead of 2 subs = 1/2 the cone area = -3db. 

So  as sedate stated, the result should be 3 db less with what you've done.

But not all installations are ideal, for one.  Very often, using two or more subs is causing acoustical cancellation in the car environment.  The popularity of using multiple subwoofers makes this point fly over the heads of a lot of people spending for the extra gear....and the sellers don't mind.  I know I wouldn't mind if I increased my profit by 300% because the basshead wants a bunch of subs.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Ti240 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2005 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
how would you determine if acoustical cancellation would be a factor in a given setup? Is there even a way to go about it without getting real deep into physics? reason i ask is i am trying to make a decision similar to choover567's with my install.
2005 Nissan Frontier - stock
comming soon...
Eclipse CD8443 deck
Eclipse PA5422 4-channel
Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 front
MBquart DKE116 rear
Eclipse SW9122 the 12's
Eclipse DA7232 bass amp

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic