personal experiences with online vendors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
I've had great experiences ordering from thezeb.com and
sounddomain.com. The only thing about sounddomain that burns my rubber is they're like accross the country so their free shipping takes like 10 days.
I got a set of CDT componets from woofersetc.com and wasn't very pleased... the box the speakers came in was the wrong one for the speakers that were *inside* the box, and the thing looked like it'd been given over to a puppy before it was shipped. The componets themselves were however, in fine condition. Probably woulda been better had I not waited 3 weeks for them.
tcss/skoldspuppy:
It seems to me that indeed, the market-up in this industry is obscene. I talked to customer the other day (I work in a resturant) who was telling about his new car stereo.... a low-end Alpine head mated to 4 coaxials. No amp, no sub, just the HU and speakers. So after the install he paid like $850. That's absurd.
That said, speakers, whether they be JL's or Adires or freakin Jensens, still utilize simple materials and technology that has been around for like 80 years. The operation of two magnets and some paper and rubber and glue absolutly does not dictate the need for $1000 price tags. JL particularly operates on nothing so much as name recognition.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  

I think it's kind of funny how the forum group gets so jaded about this stuff.   However rarely does any of them have any experience running a shop.  They wonder why a brick and mortar has the audacity to charge so much when the online guy can sell it for so cheap.  And they wonder why the manufacturer prices MSRP so high on a product that couldn't cost them that much to build; right?  Well I don't mean to be rude, but those are very ignorant points of view.  For instance, does anyone know how much money JL paid for tooling costs on the W7?  I'll bet you the baskets alone were in the 200+ thousand dollar range.  That's not to buy all the baskets they need.  That's just to tool up the mold to make them.  Most of the parts on the W7 are not off-the-shelf items.  JL had to pay tooling costs for almost every part of that sub design.  Also keep in mind that the pole piece is machined to get the cooling holes in it.  That costs a great deal more.  Plus there are quite a few innovative inventions used on that sub, many of them holding a patent.  R&D to get those designs, as well as apply for all those patents can be very costly.  And all of this must be added to the price of the sub.

Now I know that there are a lot of shop owners on this forum.  I'd love to have them comment on the "overpricing" they apparently do.  I'll bet you guys that they aren't making a "steal" like you guys think.  After all they have to pay for things like their install shop and store front, knowledgable/skilled employees, and quite a few other things that most of you wouldn't expect.  Also keep in mind that they are in business to make a profit.  And you guys also forget the many benifits that they offer that you just don't get by buying unauthorized.  For instance, most people don't know how to install their own stuff.  This includes many of the people on the forums, even though they won't admit it (even to themselves).  Being the person that heads up the warranty department here at Adire, I have personal experience with that. personal experiences with online vendors - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.  I personally think it is a huge gamble to purchase product from these places.  And I work way too hard for my money to throw it away like that.  This thread wouldn't exist if it wasn't a gamble.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
Steven:
For the record, I only suggested authorized retailers. My one set of componets from woofersetc was enough to make me decide to err toward places like sounddomain or thezeb.
That said, good points about the costs like patents and what-not. I've never for a moment considered the cost of machine tools to produce the thing eh?
Still, why would I get jaded? Lets look ... uhh here:
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/jlaudio_pages.php?page_id=111
As a customer, you should value the opportunity to audition products and receive face-to-face service from people who will be there for you after the sale. For that reason, we encourage you to support your local, authorized bricks and mortar JL AUDIO retailer. They have made a commitment to personal service and selection that no Internet retailer can match.
This is the underlying argument that companies like JL and indeed yourself use to support the prices charged by retail outlets versus unauthorized stores. My personal experience with this was *horrid* .... . When I go to my JL dealer I swear I about get sprayed with mace walking in the door.
I've gone through like 4K of JL equipment and when I went to the store to ask about porting a box cuz I couldn't get my w6 loud enough... nothing to keep with my highes. The guy acted like I was a little &#$*head kid and told me.. yelled at me from across the store actually, "Just get on the internet, all the information is there!" Another occasion the same guy told me that 2 4-ohm DVC woofers wire to 2-ohms at the amp. Got the owner out and he told me the same thing!    This is like the highest volume shop in Richmond... it's really bizarre.
I do of course very much value the ability to audition stuff.. and when I end up purchasing stuff from online retailers, I usually do so because a vendor doesn't stock it anywhere around here. I usually find that you can offer something right above the cheapest price online and find a equitable deal. On the other hand, I once caught a guy using a 200x4 Rockford amp to power a set of coaxials I pointedly told him I wanted to hear running deck power.
I guess every shop I go to, I keep finding the same kinds of people working behind the counter... kids ... eh... *exactly* like this guy... the guy heamphyst is talking about here.
I just don't find anyone professional that will take time to converse with me on my level. Try taking a WinISD graph to a shop in my town! HA I was laughed at.
I guess when I consider "customer service" to be the cornerstone of the marketing behind the $1000 price tag or whatever, I kinda shrug... I genuinly have gotten better from thezeb.com. Sorry to say it.
Of course, *I* would much rather pay up when you "machine tooling costs" than "customer service."
...Of course, when it really comes down to it...
I get wayyyyyy the best help for free here.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
12v_rep 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  
Skold, I too think the double to triple point is a little off. Most dealers work on a 25-30% margins on just the retail side. Now some manufacturers have it set up where you can make a little more, but two to three times is not possible. Back in the early 90's you could almost double your money, but that day is long gone. And the other problem with buying online is when the end user has a problem and expects the local "Authorized Dealer" to handle the problem. That happens more times than not it seems.
evanc 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
Sedate -
I am in the Richmond area as well, I am curious what store you went to that you felt that way. I did my fair share of looking around different stores to get some work done and found some good and bad stores. If nothing else, I can give you some insight on what I found...
Feel free to email me at econnor@vt.edu if you'd like to talk about this on the side
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

12V_REP wrote:
Skold, I too think the double to triple point is a little off. Most dealers work on a 25-30% margins on just the retail side. Now some manufacturers have it set up where you can make a little more, but two to three times is not possible. Back in the early 90's you could almost double your money, but that day is long gone. And the other problem with buying online is when the end user has a problem and expects the local "Authorized Dealer" to handle the problem. That happens more times than not it seems.
My example only relates to my distributor/retailer since he runs both businesses
He buys for 350, sells for 750 thats nealry double, then on the occasion ive seen them at MSRP 900+, thats triple, remember this only applies to him and no other dealer out there, since most shops dont have the capital he has to run both a distrubution and retail front under a holding company

So you can seen when one is paying a distributors price but selling at a retailers price it easly doubles or triples the margin

Trust me Ive yelled at him on this before hes a multi-millionaire from real estate ventures and captial investments, but hes always told me if he didnt do it , someone else down the block would, and thats how you become a millionaire, Im slowy getting there .. bleeding the wifes company dry But I'll have my first million in 634 years... personal experiences with online vendors - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
12v_rep 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
I guess you don't get rich giving stuff away.
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:

I think it's kind of funny how the forum group gets so jaded about this stuff.   However rarely does any of them have any experience running a shop.  They wonder why a brick and mortar has the audacity to charge so much when the online guy can sell it for so cheap.  And they wonder why the manufacturer prices MSRP so high on a product that couldn't cost them that much to build; right?  Well I don't mean to be rude, but those are very ignorant points of view.  For instance, does anyone know how much money JL paid for tooling costs on the W7?  I'll bet you the baskets alone were in the 200+ thousand dollar range.  That's not to buy all the baskets they need.  That's just to tool up the mold to make them.  Most of the parts on the W7 are not off-the-shelf items.  JL had to pay tooling costs for almost every part of that sub design.  Also keep in mind that the pole piece is machined to get the cooling holes in it.  That costs a great deal more.  Plus there are quite a few innovative inventions used on that sub, many of them holding a patent.  R&D to get those designs, as well as apply for all those patents can be very costly.  And all of this must be added to the price of the sub.

Now I know that there are a lot of shop owners on this forum.  I'd love to have them comment on the "overpricing" they apparently do.  I'll bet you guys that they aren't making a "steal" like you guys think.  After all they have to pay for things like their install shop and store front, knowledgable/skilled employees, and quite a few other things that most of you wouldn't expect.  Also keep in mind that they are in business to make a profit.  And you guys also forget the many benifits that they offer that you just don't get by buying unauthorized.  For instance, most people don't know how to install their own stuff.  This includes many of the people on the forums, even though they won't admit it (even to themselves).  Being the person that heads up the warranty department here at Adire, I have personal experience with that. personal experiences with online vendors - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.  I personally think it is a huge gamble to purchase product from these places.  And I work way too hard for my money to throw it away like that.  This thread wouldn't exist if it wasn't a gamble.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Thank you, Steven, thank you! You indirectly answered the challenge that I layed out to these guys some time ago and not one of them answered.

Any time someone complained about price (which invariably meant they were bashing JL Audio, in most cases), I challenged them to tell me why JL Audio gear cost so much. Not one person has ever responded until now. Companies have to pay for many things, from tooling costs, materials, labor, patents, rent, engineering, etc. etc. Some companies have to pay more than others depending on how they run their business and make their products. As Steven points out, JL Audio and a few other audio companies go the extra mile to provide some of the best audio products that you can buy. But providing these "high-end" products comes at a price. If you're willing to pay for it, good for you. If not, that's fine too, but don't make that the basis for trashing a company that others piggy-back off of so they can sell at a cheaper price. And believe me, this happens more than you would think.

I'll give you an example - I work in the automotive industry with one of the Big 3 as a salaried employee. Our salary structure is higher than the foreign competitors. Because of that (although certainly not the only factor), the cost of a vehicle that we make is going to be higher than a foreign-made vehicle. Which is one reason why people buy foreign versus domestic - they don't want to pay the money for a vehicle that is just as good and does exactly the same things, it just costs more. Some people just aren't willing to pay more money for two like things. And some people are willing to take the hit on quality or innovation or what have you compared to how much money is going to have to come out of their pockets. Just something to think about...

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Steve @ Adire, I couldn't have said it better.Hey Sedate , move to Central Caly and I'll take care of all your car stereo stuff. Price, info and service!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic