the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Need Tach wire, 05 Diesel Sierra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
durango02 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2005 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
I am having trouble finding the tach wire for the 2005 diesel Sierra.  DIRECTWIRE says it is white @ PCM pin 10 (I believe, paper is out in garage) but I can not locate it.  Bulldog says it is @ PCM and instrument cluster pin A5.  I can't seem to find the instrument cluster and if I did, there is not a white wire in pin A5.  Thanks for your help.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 13, 2005 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
grab it at the cluster, trust me it's there...use a meter not a cheat sheet... you have to diode isolate and grab your glow plug connection there anyway.... 
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2005 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
I havn't ever had to diode the wait to start in a GM?
but yeah, it's the white wire at the instrument cluster harness, wait to start (for all the 2 seconds it is) is dark blue
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
durango02 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2005 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I found it using my DMM but for some reason the RS was not picking it up, so I ended up using the voltage setting.
dare_ds69 
Silver - Posts: 419
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged  
Tachometer white  ac  instrument cluster, pin A5 or PCM
Notes: The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is in the left front of the engine compartment to the left of the fan shroud.
On gas models, the tach wire is in the green plug, pin 10.
On diesel models, the tach wire is in the gray plug, pin 37.
On hybrid models, the tach wire is in the green plug, pin 35.
For tach can also go to any of the ignition coils or fuel injectors and use the wire that is NOT pink, black, or brown.
Wait to start dk. blue  -  instrument cluster, pin A2 or PCM
Notes: The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is in the left front of the engine compartment to the left of the fan shroud. The wait to start wire is in the blue plug, pin 26.
how own your mind, control your life.
MECP certified. always use a DMM
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
No need to waste your time fishing wires out under the hood and digging aroud the PCM.
1. Move tilt wheel all the way down.
2. Set parking brake.
3. Place transmission in the lowest gear.
4. Pull the dash bezel off with your hands (no tools required).
5. Remove four 7mm screws that hold the instrument cluster. Pull the cluster; there is a good amount of slack on the wire.
6. On gas trucks, tach is the only white wire in the cluster harness. I don't see any reason it wouldn't be there on diesels.
dare_ds69 
Silver - Posts: 419
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
this easy look and learnNeed Tach wire, 05 Diesel Sierra - Last Post -- posted image. as you see at the right  is the cluster, and at the left is the vents there is only one white wireNeed Tach wire, 05 Diesel Sierra - Last Post -- posted image.
how own your mind, control your life.
MECP certified. always use a DMM
durango02 
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all your help guys, but like I said, I found it at the PCM and the Instrument cluster but for some reason the Remote start would not see it, so I used the voltage sensing option. I know this is not the best way to do it, but it is an option that works and it still has some mode of safety.
durango02 
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all your help guys, but like I said, I found it at the PCM and the Instrument cluster but for some reason the Remote start would not see it, so I used the voltage sensing option. I know this is not the best way to do it, but it is an option that works and it still has some mode of safety.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic