icon

Speaker wiring question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
onesuretng 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  
I looked at the sub wiring section and since I'm new at this I wasn't sure if the wiring applied to my situation.
I have a deck with 3 RCA outs, front, rear, and sub. I have 4 6.5" speakers (50w rms, 4 ohm) that I want to run off my decks front RCA channel (for those wondering I already have an amp for the rear RCA channel running a pair of 6x9's). What would be the best way to wire this providing the most power to all 4 6.5" speakers?
Here 2 scenarios I've considered:
1. Parallel/Series wiring: front l/r (+) together and to amp (+), front l/r (-) to mid l/r (-), mid l/r (-) together and to amp, bridge amp.
2. Use a Y splitter on my front RCA deck outs and connect the splitted ends to my amp's front /rear channel.
Amp Specs:
4/2/1: RMS at 14.4
60w x 4 (4 ohms)
75w x 4 (2 ohms)
250w x 2 (4 ohms) - bridged
Any thoughts/help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
mini14 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
this is confusing, you have a pair of 6.5 on each side in the front? and it sounds like you have 2 amps, if this is the case it looks like one is for the 6x9's ok and one is for the 6.5's ok. if this is correct then go with #2. Go ahead and wire the speakers (assuming they are svc 4 ohm) to each channel so you have one speaker to one channel. You could really do yourself a favor and get a 2 channel amp and wire the speakers in parallel to get the most power. That setup would have 2 loads at 2 ohms
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  

Thoughts or suggestions:  just because you have all those speakers doesn't mean you have to use them all.  Go with one pair front, one pair rear.  Power the main (front) speakers with a two channel amp...the rears should receive less power but also be powere by a two channel amp.  Provide a good  front soundstage for the music, with the rears filling for "ambience" and backseat listening, and the sub filling in the lowest tones.

If you don't have speakers that have the power handling capabilities that you are looking for, the right thing to do is stop and buy the right speakers.  The importance of the front soundstage cannot be emphasized enough.  Your main speakers should never be powered by an amp into a 2 ohm load...it should be 4 ohm.  If you parallel the sets of speakers you will, I assure you, be changing that setup soon.  Why? Lack of sound quality.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
onesuretng 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry about the confusion. I drive a tahoe, so I have 6 factory speakers 2 front/ 2 mid/ 2 rear. I want the front/mid's (both are the 6/5" speakers) treated as front and the rear as the 6x9's (so when I fade, music will only be from the back of the vehicle).
I acquired 2 amps for free, one is the 4/2/1 channel amp as previously listed, the other is a 2 channel amp (70w x 2 @ 4 ohms).
I figured it only made sense to wire the 6x9's to the 2 channel amp and figure out a wiring scheme for the 4 6.5" speakers.
Hope this helps, thanks for your reply.
If you think a different setup/config would be better I'm all ears.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
What you really should do is replace the rear 6x9s with a subwoofer.  Use one like a SVC 4 ohm that you can bridge to that 2 channel amp.  Use the deck's sub out for that.  Now, the 6x9s are out of the picture.  Replace the four 6.5s with aftermarket speakers that will handle the power that you will be applying with an amplifier.  Use the four channel amp for front and rear (what you were calling "mid"); fading will be from driver seat to rear passenger seat as it should be.  This will allow you to adjust your soundstage properly.  You will then have a fine and proper sound system.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
onesuretng 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
Lol, well, I already have 2 10" subs mounted in the rear door connected to the deck. I could ditch the 6x9's but it took awhile to mount them (factory is 4x10) and I'm rather partial to the fact that IF I ever get this thing finished, I'll have 6 speakers and 2 subs. My intention isn't for overkill, rather symmetry. I installed the 6x9's before I got the subs. Initially I only had 1 10" sub, but didn't like the fact that my unoccupied rear door look different.
So for the sake of my different taste, it sounds like the way to go is to use splitters for the front 4 speakers as opposed to the parallel/series wiring and bridging the amp?
Thanks
mini14 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
cool setup   can you post pictures?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
Run your 4 door speakers off the 4-channel amp, one to a channel, and use Y-adapters so the front RCA output is connectoed to all four inputs (R split to both R, L split to both L).
Support the12volt.com
shott8283 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
you guys keep talking about splitting.... is this a normal procedure?  ive never done nor heard nor thought of this.... assuming i read correctly...  the rca preouts for the front speakers are split so that in the end... your 4 channel amp will receive amp and produce only the "front" signal from the deck .. ending in a more of a high more then less mid signal/freq ?  if im way off... ignore my ignorance.. thanks!
mini14 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
lets say you have one pre out on your radio, and you have a 4 channnel amp or more than one amp, then you would most likely have to split the rca's so that they would send a signal to the amps. there is nothing wrong with this, except there is a slight drop off in power from the rca's since the signal is split

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic