the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Your Opinions Please

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, that's great. 

The confused part comes in by your sales person actually thinking you'll ever hear a difference between 75w and 150w on those speakers.  Just dropping the load to 2 ohms doesn't "obtain more juice."  You -ask- for more juice when you turn up the volume control.  Dropping from 4 to 2 ohms only raises the -maximum- wattage that the amplifier will put out. 

The vast majority of the time you'll be pulling less than 25wpc from that amplifier.  The rest of the time you'll be pulling less than 50.  All moving from 75w to 150w did for you was increase the -maximum- power that can be drawn from that amplifier.  If you even ran at 75wpc to those speakers on a consistent basis (1) they probably wouldn't last long (2) your hearing wouldn't last long either. 

Even if you say, "well, I'm glad I raised the maximum SPL."  Please note that a doubling of wattage will only give you a 3db rise in your maximum SPL.  3db is small.  It takes a 10db rise in SPL to notice a doubling of volume to our ears. 

Anyway.  Your sales person poorly informed you.  A more flexible 4-channel amplifier would have been a much better purchase.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
heh mudfoot:
glad u like ur system, but I'm confused..
How'd you wire it finally? Did you parallel everything from the 2-channel or did you run the VR's from the 2-channel and the rears from the deck?
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
mudfoot 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2005 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  

sedate-

I did parallel the amp to the front VRs and the rear TRs, I know this is probally not a great idea, but I listened to the sales guy, first mistake. I initally wanted to run a 4004 fosgate for the highs but didn't go with my gut. The deck is awesome, almost too many adjustments but I'm getting the hang of it pretty good now. I had recieved a XM Roady2 for a gift and installed it today, those are pretty darn cool, the only change I think I'll make is to go buy an adapter tommorow so I can run the sat radio to my imput on the HU, thus eliminating the fm modulator and obtaining a better/cleaner feed. I hadn't installed a stereo in years and know that I should have gone 4 ch amp, but the install came out very clean, that has always been a must, as well as sound clarity. I also used some dynamat on various areas of the extracab that stuff is amazing!! . I like to obtain a factory look as well. I'm still more than open to suggestions on a solid 4 ch amp, I was looking at a small alpine ( Alpine MRV-F340 55 x 4). I will post pics in a day or two. Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic