need advice on amp/10 sub selection

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bdog1234 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  

Hello,

this is my first post here. Seems like a great resource. I am looking to put a system in my 2002 Chevrolet HD crew cab. I installed a sony head unit last night as well as some Polk 6.5's in the doors.

I ordered this  http://www.subthump.com/gmcrew.htm  box for the subs (dual 10's downfiring with .55 cu ft each).

I pulled my speakers and amp out of my old truck when I traded. They are Rockford Fosgate HE 10's (8 ohm 400w), and a phoenix gold xs 2200 amp (200w rms x1 @4 ohm). The amp has a short in it in that it does not work all the time and I am going to replace it. The speakers I may or may not use.

What would you guys recommend? I used to really be into stereo stuff when I was younger but now I am om older, have a family, full time job, etc and I just have not been able to keep up with everything but I still want to have a good system. I am not looking to win any contests but I have always liked to have some hard hitting bass.

I could not find any specs on the speakers as to air volume requirements. Will they work in these small boxes or should I look for something else?

What would be a good amp to use?

JoeMetal 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
The recommended sealed (I'm assuming that box is sealed) size for the 10" HE's is 0.65-0.75. Even the new Rockford Punch series subs recommend 0.65 cubic feet for their 10" subs. The new 8" ones only recommend around 0.30 cubic feet.
That's all the info I can give you right now. I'm new too, and so far, all I know is Rockford Fosgate stuff. need advice on amp/10 sub selection - Last Post -- posted image.
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 18, 2005 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry I can't help you with any HE info. However, I have a few good suggestions for other 10's.
If you're looking for more of a really hard hitting setup, I'd look into these MTX 7500's.
Or if you're just looking for something that'll sound nice (more of an sq setup), I would definitely suggest taking a look at these Image Dynamics 10's... Now that I look at them closely, that's a really good deal on those ID's too.
But don't worry about an amp until you decide which subs you're going to use.
Edit: I just realized the 7500 is too deep for that box.
Instead, look at
these Alpine Type R 10's. You'd probably want the dual 2 ohm voice coil though (or single 4ohm coils) so you can end up with a total load of 2 ohms on the amp. But the Type R's are a wonderful all around sub. That's what I'm running right now, and couldn't be happier with them.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic