icon

Plexiglass engraving

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys this has absolutely nothing to do with fiberglass, but it does have to do with my fiberglass project so. I have some questions about engraving plexiglass.   I want to take this image  Plexiglass engraving - Last Post -- posted image. and give it to the company to engrave on some plexiglass but I dont know how to make it the size I need it to be for my plexiglass?? Any information and help is welcome about this????
Thanks realitycheck
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Crispix396 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
i thioght they mainly just sandblasted it, in which case it  could be pretty thin...  you plan on lighting it right?  is this plexi going onto a plane of the box its self? so does it need to be sturdy or is it jsut looks?
nothing amazing yet, but its coming
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
Its just looks, it going onto a trunk lid.  Yeah im going to be lighting it. I think they use either a laser or they use an engraving tool attached to a computer, like a cnc machine. Will a laser etching light up though?
Tegpilot 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  

I have the same issue, I want to have my plexi etched but have zero idea other than taking it to a shop and getting it done.  I don't know how to get a symbol. or font to a suitable size on my computer in order to print it out to make a stencil.  Any ideas?

phatx96xaccord 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  

you should be able to take it in on a disk, and they can pop it in there computer and resize the picture, and the computer will have it engrave to those specs.   

My fiance's mother owns a screen print/embroidery shop, this is how they do much of there products,  very similiar in a way.

would u like your chicken original or extra crispy?
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 7:37 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the help guys. I went to a local engraving shop yesterday they laser engrave cast acrylic. I took a spare piece of there stuff home last night and shined a led through it and it works great so Im going to be getting them to do it.  I only have one other problem, I was sanding down my piece last night and I tried to fit it back on to the trunk lid and noticed it doesnt fit anymore, Plexiglass engraving - Last Post -- posted image.    Sooooo I need a little advice one of the corners is pulled back and glassed into place. Apparently when I stretched the fleece I pulled it backwards so now the top sticks out about an inch or so. So if I have to cut that corner off what can I rebuild it with. I thought about duraglass, I thought about fiberglass down then duraglass on top. I thought about resin mixed with cabosil or something like that. what do you guys think would be best?

If your confused I can post a pic not of my project but a similar one and show you the area that might need to be cut.

uz2bauto 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2005 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
you can try going to a vinyl decal shop and getting the sticker you want cut out...then use the outide part of the civic sticker and sand the inside with like 80 grit paper or something...just an idea i'd like to know how it would turn out.
paint and body       
"semi-professional"

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic