Poly-Fil box stuffing?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrmsudawgs 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2005 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
glacious - one more thing...
If your subs are in separate chambers and sealed independently of each other you can simply put polyfil in one sub's enclosure and none in the other. Get your music going then adjust your balance to the left or right to hear the difference.   
Better yet, disconnect the left sub then play the music (be careful to cover the bare wires if you disconnect at the enclosure instead of the amp) to see how it sounds. Then reconnect the left and disconnect the right (the one with the poly) and see how that sounds. This method will keep your mids and highs in balance instead of moving them to the left or right side of the vehicle.
Let us know what you find out. Good luck!
Mike
2000 F150 Supercab Lariat, Alpine CDA-9831, Polk MMC570 in Doors, One Polk MM2104 Sub, One Polk Carbon C400.4 Amp.
John 3:16
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 08, 2005 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

I answered that one for you, Steve.  Poly-Fil box stuffing? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Ha ha, that's classic.  And so is kgerry's response....

Can't be improved upon!

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
glacious 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

mrmsudawgs

Thanks for the info. I am on a somewhat tight schedule, but maybe next weekend that will be my project. And I will let you know xactly how things came out. On a side note...do you happen to have any sort of xperiance with capacitors??

jp
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/isentrop.html
What? You didn't understand all that? Sheesh...Poly-Fil box stuffing? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
mrmsudawgs 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2005 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
Capacitors? I know more about them from the engineering/design side than audio applications. I know from several threads in this forum that some of the more knowledgable members do not buy into the hype around caps. I understand why they should work in car audio but I question whether or not they actually do as well as they claim.
Stevdart: please - no isentropic flow calculationsPoly-Fil box stuffing? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. I had hoped that I would never see those equations again after I took my professional engineering exam. Yuk! Poly-Fil box stuffing? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image. Actually, those equations are for air or water flow through a nozzel or orifice and really do not apply to the "flow" we are discussing. In this case, our "flow" is just air moving inside a sealed enclosure instead of a definate flow from point "A" to point "B" and never returning to point "A". It also assume constant entropy (sort of a measure of chaos of a system) and it assumes the process happens very slowly and is isothermal (no heat loss or gained). Yeah, it gets pretty deep real quick. Dang - now I'm going to have to design a rocket engine nozzel just to expunge these stinking thoughts in my head!! Ha! Ha!
Mike
2000 F150 Supercab Lariat, Alpine CDA-9831, Polk MMC570 in Doors, One Polk MM2104 Sub, One Polk Carbon C400.4 Amp.
John 3:16
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic