icon

wet sanding

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lilbenny 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
when you wet sand is it better to put alot or little water?
and you stop when its a smooth tacky paint correct? almost like a plasticy feel?
phatx96xaccord 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

you want enough water so u dont cut into the the paint,  enough to get out orange peel and dust, so use plenty of water

would u like your chicken original or extra crispy?
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
What are you wet sanding. If you are doing paint/clear it is one thing, if it is primer you use a diferent technique.
lilbenny 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
hmm all? lol am i suppose to sand primer wetsand paint (wetsand?) paint or not wetsand paint.. then clear coat wetsand?
this really sucks cuz ive had to strip my boxes numerous times to get it and i ended up stripping it again tonight cuz the paint started cracking.. is that due to too much paint?
also im using 2 paints... i paint 2 coats let dry for about 2 hours then use a diff paint and it seems like it peels the previous layers off... i dont think its bc of the 2 diff brands of paint because i already finished one box with those 2 paints..
phatx96xaccord 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2005 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  

maybe try using a different primer, i have heard that some paints dont adhere to some primers well,  also  between the first coat and second coat, how long are u waiting.

would u like your chicken original or extra crispy?
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2005 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  

I personally like to use as much water as possible.

As to how to know when  you're done sanding:  When the sand paper slides smoothly over the piece you're working on that means it's sanded to that grit.  To get it smoother go to a higher grit.

It sounds like your paint and primer arn't bonding properly.  I would suggest that you make sure to use primer from the same company that makes the paint that you're using. 

TCalYen 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2005 at 6:58 AM / IP Logged  

lilbenny wrote:
also im using 2 paints... i paint 2 coats let dry for about 2 hours then use a diff paint and it seems like it peels the previous layers off... i dont think its bc of the 2 diff brands of paint because i already finished one box with those 2 paints..

If you definitely are sure that you used the same two paint types on top of the same primer on another box successfully... then the reason your getting "peeling" or whatever is because you're timing between coats.

Normally if you let a recently applied coat of paint cure for more than an hour, you should not paint another coat on top of it until it completely cures, like 24 to 48 hrs later.

Try waiting 5 to 10 minutes between each coat, including when you go from on type of paint to the other.  Also, try not to put on thick coats... thin coats, applied enough, will eventually give you the coverage you need.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic