icon

find new subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DaRealace 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2005 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
I'm getting rid of my Jl 18w3 and looking for something smaller that hits hard but much more accurate then my JL. My JL took around 400w for a reference point. As of now I have a ninE.1 (underrated) that does 1200 @ 1ohm, 900 @ 2ohm, 450@ 4ohm. I am looking for either a single supersub or dual setup. I was looking at doing a dual setup w/ dual 13ov.2's but they are back ordered and I can't wait. I am leaning mostly towards a SQL setup I want accuracy but I really want it to pound aswell. So please help me out guys give me some ideas of what sub(s) I should be looking at.
My budget is $350 just for the subs...
P.S. I can also get a new amp if needed to fit the config.. Amp Budget is $350.
Thanks
DaRealace 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2005 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
Edit: used is okay
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2005 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
i would suggest 2 12" soundstream van gogh's you would go just over $350 but get the results your looking for and use the same amp
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
Are you selling your 18w3? PM me with a price and ill let you know if im interested.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
Try a pair of these.
Not do no better for $350 no way.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
parrot 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  

I know I am probably opening myself up for a flame job here but I would recommend a 12W6v2. You can get one new on ebay for $300 including shipping or $200 used. I have always been into SQ and couldn't give a crap about SPL. I have yet to find a more accurate sub for all around musical tastes. People that aren't totally amazed by JL's top line subwoofers probably aren't setting them up correctly. Poor enclosure, poor amplification, or poor crossover setup could certainly destroy the sound of one of these fine subs. The aforementioned infinity perfect 12's would certainly sound good but I suspect they would have more volume and less sq. I say this because I had a single perfect 12 that was replaced by my JL and I wouldn't go back to the infinity.  Another thing your 450w @ 2ohm amp is perfectly matched for 1 12W6v2. If you ran 2 Infinity perfect 12's, You would only be putting 225w each into them. That might be enough but I like to run @ or slightly over recommended power to get the most SQ out of a sub.

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2005 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
"people that aren't totally amazed by JL's top line subwoofers probably aren't setting them up correctly"-parrot
Well for those of us who have done car audio for 29 years can tell you that some equipment just sucks regardless of the install. JL's top of the line sucks compared to what you can get for the same price or less.
Now for a budget, go JBL or some Fosgates can do the trick. Look online for some HX2's or a local dealer and see if they can get some. They'd be cheap, they hit lack a mack truck in the right enclosure, and will serve you well.
Amps for $350: Alpine, Cadence,
Used (as you said was okay) try to find Nakamichi, MMATS, US Amps, old PPI stuff
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic