icon

installer's box builders I need info

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
akajoker 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
Guys I've searched all over and there just isn't much info, that I can find, on boxes specifically for a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab truck.  I built one box for behind the back seats that housed 2 10"s.  I recently removed the box and went to a 10" kicker solobaric, removed the center console and built a sealed box for the kicker there.  It sounds alot better than the 10"s I had, mainly due to the space requirements not being met on the 2 10"s, but still not sounding the way I know it can sound.  I think this is mainly due to the box being sealed, I'm looking for loud bass, really not looking for SQ here, I listen to mainly rap and music with heavy bass things like that,  so I'm thinking I should be looking to build a ported box for my application.  IN any of your guys experiences, what has worked out better, bearing in mind I would like to keep the Kicker for now(it's new) so can anyone share some info and maybe point me in a good direction, the dimensions I have to work with are 11.5" wide at one in tapering in to 9.75 at the other x 27" long x ???  Im running the kicker @ 2ohms being powered by a Memphis 500D.. I would appreciate any help anyone can provide....
AJRXtreme 
Silver - Posts: 302
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
go right ahead and build a ported box for the center console. I would downfire it for a couple reasons. First when u look inside u cant see a subwoofer, and also for some reason downfiring boxes have sounded and felt a lot louder than upfiring the sub. I built a box for 2 8" L7's for my friends dakota ext cab. We downfired the box and he was really impressed with the sound. I look at it like this. When the sub is firing into the frame of the car it shakes the car and really gives u a good massage from the seats vibrating. Just my 2 cents, if u have any other questions just PM me.
03 F150 on 24's
HU:Pioneer DVD5700
Frt:MC57
Subs:(12)S12L7
Amps:(3)KX2500.1's, MC-2004
Bigsingh 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

is it possible to get a 12 behind the seats if you can go with that otherwise just port and increase the size of the current box in the console

6* Rockford T2's
6* POWER AMPs
BLACK CORRADO
BAANNGGIINN
akajoker 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
12"s are out unless I considered the slim mount 12"s like Pioneer and Blaunk makes, I really didnt like the way the 10"s sound behind the seats.  I definately have not thought of doing a down fire box, but I will take a look at that, right now, I have the Solo firing toward the rear seats. I ran one of the calc programs last night and I figure I can get a 1.5' box(including port) so that will be right at the minimium that Kicker recommends for porting and will be tuned to 45hz... Could the Kicker handle going lower than 45?  Anyhow, thanks for the idea of downfiring, I wish I would thought about that before I built the box first time around.. live and learn I guess.
AJRXtreme 
Silver - Posts: 302
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
yeha man, downfiring is the best way to go for center console boxes. I feel all happy now that i was able to help u out. Im always the one asking questions about my setups. Good luck on your box , later
03 F150 on 24's
HU:Pioneer DVD5700
Frt:MC57
Subs:(12)S12L7
Amps:(3)KX2500.1's, MC-2004
sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  

Ok here's the skinny on ported and seald boxes. I am KITT certified (Kicker Institue of Technical Training) this is right from my text book. Sealed enclosures will produce lower bass and high spl numbers.  A ported enclosures require less power but they are only louder the closer you get to the tuning frequency of the port. Ported enclosures sound louder to your ear and give you that "BUMP" that some people want because they  move more air. but in terms of SPL (sound pressure level) you will get higher numbers out of a sealed enclosure. The best suggestion I would have is to call kicker tech support, they have a team of engineers specifically there to design enclosures for their subs. they can give you the exact dimensions to get the most out of your sub. I learned the hard way that building a sub enclosure IS alot like rocket science with out a computer program theres alot of variables and equations to figure out.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic