icon

Sunvisor Installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kosoku 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2005 at 8:00 PM / IP Logged  
I have a Power Acoustic 7" monitor that I am installing in a Ford Ranger Sunvisor. The problem I've run into is the mounting depth is .7", and while the visor is about 1.25" thick, in order to mount flush I will have to cut through the center board.
My question is, a) what should I use to cut the board (it laughs at me when I try a razor blade) and b) will doing so make the entire visor flimsy, or will the monitor take the place of the board in supporting the overall shape of the visor?
For reference, here is where I am at now:
Sunvisor Installation - Last Post -- posted image.
Firstnbass 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
I dont know about the flimsy part , I do know that a mustang has a little piece of metal that keeps it from flipping open, so make sure you dont have the same issue.
Do you think you could remove the cover? If not you have to watch the other side, You could try a die grinder up on end but watch your eyes, Let me know how you make out, i have one coming in about a week, same deal, good luck
*ALwaYs KnoW YoUr SaLEsmAN!!*
kosoku 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
I could remove the cover, but I don't think I could make a new one look good. I plan on just cutting the board out, then folding the flaps back in before stuffing the monitor in. I am not sure how I am going to secure the monitor yet. I guess I will try some good glue around the bottom of the monitors housing.
monkeysan 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
Use a dremel tool with a shallow cutting attachment.  Those things are awesome for small jobs.  Cut it slightly smaller than what you need and sand it until the monitor fits tightly.  I would think some 3m Super spray adhesive would hold it in place.  You will probably also want to cut a channel through the visor to route your wires.  If you are worried about support, you could always buy some thin MDF or something and cut a piece large enough to support the monitor and just replace the board that is in there.  Or you can add a trim piece of wood veneer or plastic around the monitor to help the visor retain its shape.
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
kosoku wrote:
I have a Power Acoustic 7" monitor that I am installing in a Ford Ranger Sunvisor. The problem I've run into is the mounting depth is .7", and while the visor is about 1.25" thick, in order to mount flush I will have to cut through the center board.
My question is, a) what should I use to cut the board (it laughs at me when I try a razor blade) and b) will doing so make the entire visor flimsy, or will the monitor take the place of the board in supporting the overall shape of the visor?
For reference, here is where I am at now:
Kinda lost he there. What I was gonna suggest is maybe try to build the visor out a little bit. I gotta admit thats a tough spot to be in bro.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
kosoku 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
I have the monitor installed. I had to cut out not only the board but also the foam on the other side as well. It looks nice (I'll post a picture when I get around to it), but the glue I used to hold the monitor bracket in isn't holding up. I used a hot glue gun and it worked okay, but it hasn't held up now that I'm using the monitor, flipping the visor up and down. What kind of glue do people normally use on these?
Oznium 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2005 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
kosoku 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2005 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the link!
I actually went a little different route with my install. I wanted to keep the factory fabric intact, so I only cut it around where the visor mount was to be installed. I just need to figure out what to use to glue the visor mount to the visor's fabric. Hot glue worked but didn't last.
Oznium 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
Post up the finished pictures
I think superglue will work well on the mount/fabric
Perhaps jb-weld or epoxy, although that might be better for the mount to the wood frame
kosoku 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
Sunvisor Installation - Last Post -- posted image.
I used some nice fabric to trim around the edge of the bracket because part of the visor fabric melted from the heat of the dremel while cutting into the metal inner frame.
Actually, the only trouble area is the bottom of the monitor frame where it attaches to the visor fabric. It seems to be in there solid otherwise, but I would still like ideas on what I should do to get it more permanent.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic