icon

Cigarette lighter splitter splice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mudgie1911 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
I recently bought an XM radio and am trying to connect the xm and cellphone at the same time without the plug sticking out of the lighter.
How do I tap into the power source for the existing cig lighter. Do I cut the plug off of the splitter? What do I do with the two wires that are on the splitter to harness the power? (In layman's terms)
I know it sounds stupid, but I need directions. Want to do it right. Thanks for all the help.
"Nothing like a good ride"
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
I an't quit sure wth you wrote but i think this is what ya looking for
Ok find out which one is positive and which one is negative , the wire coming from teh center pin is positive and the one that is on the outside is ground or - . Now after you find out which one is which cut the plug off. Now run that wire behind to the cig lighter. I can't tell ya any wiring info since i dunno the type/make/year car or the coloring of the spliter ya using. But basacly take 2 T tabs and crimp them onto the 2 wires coming out of the cig plug. then just plug the wires in using male connectors Positive to Positive and ground to ground. Thats the best i can really explain it from the info.
sleepy186 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
godblessdremil wrote:
I an't quit sure wth you wrote but i think this is what ya looking for
Ok find out which one is positive and which one is negative , the wire coming from teh center pin is positive and the one that is on the outside is ground or - . Now after you find out which one is which cut the plug off. Now run that wire behind to the cig lighter. I can't tell ya any wiring info since i dunno the type/make/year car or the coloring of the spliter ya using. But basacly take 2 T tabs and crimp them onto the 2 wires coming out of the cig plug. then just plug the wires in using male connectors Positive to Positive and ground to ground. Thats the best i can really explain it from the info.
DO NOT cut the plug off of your XM cigarette lighter adapter. Many of the units, including the more popular SkyFi1/2 and MyFi units run on SIX volts. The adapter provides 6 volts and cutting it off will bypass that sending 12 volts to your unit. Just look at the cigarette lighter adapter and it will tell you if it outputs 6 volt or 12 volt.
You can solder new wires in the adapter to use for splicing, or you can buy the XM install kit that Delphi uses for their units. It comes with a cigarette lighter plug extension (or you can get a cheap generic one from Radio Shack) that you can plug the adapter in and have wires coming out to splice into the adapter.
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  

Go to Advanced Auto Parts or Autozone...Get a replacement 12 volt Cigarette Lighter Well (The piece you plug your charge into in the car)

Take that and behind the dash wire the well into the cars Cigarette circuit (Positive and Negative connection..Us a Multimeter or a test light to find which wire is pos and which is neg..)

Then just plug your XM into that hidden plug and run your wire out to the unit...

Hope this helps...

Cigarette lighter splitter splice - Last Post -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic