icon

Divide box for 2 subs or not?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Need 2 b lower 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
im almost done building my center console box, but i need advice. the whole box has about 2 cubic feet of airspace. my subs can be placed in .50-1.0 cubic feet per sub. would it be better to run both subs in the same airspace (2 subs running in 2 cubic feet of air), or should i seperate them so its 1 sub has its own seperate cubic foot. if i do seperate them, does the airspace have to be equal on both sides? like what if one has .85, and the other has .70 cubic feet? if that was alot to comprehend, i dont mind drawing out a picture. let me know, thanks!

They are 10 inch dvc memphis power reference subs. right now they are in a sealed box, with .65 cubic feet each (seperated). What setup would be best for my center console?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
If you divide the box, the volumes MUST be the same, otherwise you will have different response curves from them.
It is OK to run two woofers in one enclosure, as lang as they are the SAME woofer, and if multiple voice coil drivers, they must be WIRED THE SAME.
Usually, most people will run a common enclosure - the easy way out, but a divider will add bracing, which you have to put in the box anyway...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Need 2 b lower 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
They are dual voice coil, and are wired together to be at 4 ohms. There is no way i will get the volumes even, so i will brace the box but not seal the two apart. should i mount one sub upside down?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
There's GOT to be a way to get the air volumes even.  Bracing or solid fill takes up air space.  Center dividers that divide at an angle is another way to even out the chambers.  And why would you put one of the subs upside down?   I think I get you now...you mean to invert a sub so that it doesn't take up airspace in the box, in order to even the chambers.  If you do, it must be wired in opposite polarity from the other normally-mounted sub.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
Upside down? Why?
Yea the BEST reason to seperate your woofer enclosures is so that under the off chance that one woofer stops working for whatever reason the other one doesn't immediately eat it as well.
I mean.. I build boxes all the time.. I've never bothered.
Instead of bracing, try a can of fiberglass resin.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Need 2 b lower 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
this box has so many angle and indents etc, it would be almost impossible to get them even. Will it sound fine if they are not seperated?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  
Two of the same sub in a sealed box usually share the same airspace.  Not to worry, go with what you got.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2005 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
Need 2 b lower wrote:
this box has so many angle and indents
The box will sound absolutly flawless working in a common enclosure; don't worry about any seperation eh?
You have angles and incidents... don't worry about bracing eh? Try a can of fiberglass resin!
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2005 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
you should seperate the box but it is not nessesary becuse if you dont then if a sub does go out then the air just doubled for that one sub, but here is a preaty good idea if that happends, dont use ur subs then if one is blown and you dont have seperate chambers
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2005 at 1:20 AM / IP Logged  
oxygen65.  If a sub cuts out in a common chamber enclosure, i guess it sorta does double the air space for the one sub, but the sub thats cut out acts like a really flimsy wall and will sound like crap (sorta negates the fact that u made a really strong box), but it is a good idea not to use the subs if one does blow till u can replace it, but i dont know too many people that would, since they would rather have the little bit of extra bass (thats just the people i know though, lol)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic