icon

small box sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
1883atlantics 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I tried to ask about this before (using 8" subs) and no one replied, so maybe some people out there will answer if i leave out the vehicle it's going in to (haha). I have about .77 cubic feet (gross) to work with and need a loud, accurate sub. the rest of the system is a pioneer head going to a pair of dash mounted blaupunkt 5.25 speakers, a 50x2 amp wired for 100x2 (2ohm stereo) powering (2) Infinity Kappa 5x7s in the front doors and a pair of Alpine Type R 6x9s in the rear. Music considerations are rap/hip-hop, country, some rock.  I'm looking to get the typical...good SQ with plenty of SPL potential. The box limitations are what's complicating my search. Budget is limited to about $250 for the sub and I'll worry about the amp after I figure out what power needs I'm looking at.  I originally thought about JL 10W3 (after considering 8w6) or Kicker s10L7, but am open to any suggestions. I don't really have the space to consider a 12" sub, it's too large of a mounting hole. Thanks

Jeff

Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
10" soundstream van gogh www.soundstream.com 
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  

Your original post wasn't answered because you wrote a 500 word essay in one paragraph.  small box sub? - Last Post -- posted image.   Which is, sorry to say, unreadable.

There's no possibility of "good SQ" when you run a Profile (or any other) amp to front main speakers at 2 ohms for the purpose of wringing whatever power you can out of the amplifier.  Or if it's because you haven't purchased the 4 channel or second amp you should have, that change should come next... and quickly.  Rethink your reasons, buy the necessary gear, and run your main speakers at 4 ohms.  Until then SQ is just two capital letters.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
monkeysan 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  

How about an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"?  It's around $150.  They don't need a big box to work in, and can get loud with less power than a lot of other subs.  They have single and dual-voice coil models.  I would get a new 4-channel amp for the highs and mids and a mono amp for the sub.  Your system also might sound better if you just ran midbass to the 5x7 speakers.  You could use the Profile amp on them. 

Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 10:14 AM / IP Logged  
Small box subs?
Infinity Kappa & Kappa Perfect
Image Dynamics IDQ's
Adire Audio Brahma
Resonant Engineering SE
Eclipse Al's
1883atlantics 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

Your original post wasn't answered because you wrote a 500 word essay in one paragraph.  small box sub? - Last Post -- posted image.   Which is, sorry to say, unreadable.

There's no possibility of "good SQ" when you run a Profile (or any other) amp to front main speakers at 2 ohms for the purpose of wringing whatever power you can out of the amplifier.  Or if it's because you haven't purchased the 4 channel or second amp you should have, that change should come next... and quickly.  Rethink your reasons, buy the necessary gear, and run your main speakers at 4 ohms.  Until then SQ is just two capital letters.

I tried to give a complete picture of the situation I needed help with rather than the "i'm surching [sic]  for a hard-hitting sub" type post.  I even went so far as to apologize for the long post.  Now, getting to the actual audio information you gave in your post, I have a couple of questions:

The Profile amp is wired at 2ohms stereo to get the most power out of it, correct. The system gets played at moderately loud volume levels so I wanted to have some "insurance" against blowing the speakers by underpowering them. The profile was chosen due to budget and space limitations. It is mounted under the driver's seat and is about the largest amp I could find to fit there. In this vehicle space limitations are very much a consideration, as very little cargo room can be given up.  My question has to do with the impact of 2ohm wiring on SQ. What exactly happens to SQ when you wire for 2ohm stereo? You stated I would never get good SQ with 2ohm wiring, but didn't explain why. Remember, not everyone knows as much about this topic as you do! small box sub? - Last Post -- posted image.     

Since it's inevitable that I have to go with another amp for the main speakers to get towards decent SQ, the amp power levels needed start to confuse me. The front mains are the 5.25s (40wrms) and the Infinity speakers (100w rms), with the 6x9s (55w rms) in the rear.  How should  I power the speakers?  

Now, I realize this is all in a van, and the SQ will never be close to great  so I guess I'm just shooting for decent SQ and the ability to crank up the low end when desired.  Thanks for the advice so far.

Jeff

1883atlantics 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  

Blowntweeters wrote:
10" soundstream van gogh www.soundstream.com 

Wow, seems like a very nice sub, and the sealed box requirement is outstanding. Wasn't there an amp from SoundStream called the Van Gogh?Have you had a chance to hear one of these VG subs?

Thanks,

Jeff

1883atlantics 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
monkeysan wrote:

How about an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"?  It's around $150.  They don't need a big box to work in, and can get loud with less power than a lot of other subs.  They have single and dual-voice coil models.  I would get a new 4-channel amp for the highs and mids and a mono amp for the sub.  Your system also might sound better if you just ran midbass to the 5x7 speakers.  You could use the Profile amp on them. 

Thanks, I'll check out the Kappa Perfect 10. Please see my other post regarding the speakers' power needs and amplifiers. I'm a bit confused as to how to power my speakers, since the power needs of the speakers are so different. I'll try running midbass-only to the doors though to see how it sounds, thanks for the tip!

Jeff

Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
installed a set up with 2 12" van goghs and a picasso amp sounds great and i did a streetable SPL set up with a van gogh 1600.2 and 2 15" T4's and i it was better than i expected
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic