icon

neat XM install

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  
I need help. I'm trying to add XM to my system. Hiding the three wires for the receiver is a nightmare. The antenna on top of the car is the worst.  Any ideas on how to run the wire; and at the same time not being able to see much of it on top of the car?
'85 Toy
Blinden 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
I only have Sirius experience myself, but, with that, you can often times mount the antenna INSIDE the car, depends on the area you live in though.
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X579 HU
More on the way...
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  

Depending on the vehicle..

For a car: Run the wire under the carpet to the rear of the car and into the trunk, Go out of the trunk up towards the rear glass. Look around the window and see if there is a little rubber lip you can lift if so lift this lip and run the wire under the lip...place the antena in the middle of the car on the roof right next to the glass....Just push the antena wire under the little rubber lip....OR you can just put the antena on the trunk lid and run it to there

For a Truck. If it has a third brake light...Remove the brake light and run the cable into the hole behind the light...Mount the antena next to the light. Reinstall light. run the cable across the headliner and down the A pillar, then under the dash and into your XM unit.

For a Truck: NO Third Brake light... just under the dash up the A pillar and mount it as closs to the door opening as possible you will see the wire but not much choice here....OR run the cable out the floor of truck through a grommet, tie the cable to the frame and run the antena to the bedrail and put it on the bed rail right behind the cab...Just make sure that you have the cable away from anything that moves or gets hot...

For an SUV: What I said for the truck will work....

And yes what binden said is ok too...Turn on your XM unit puy your antena on your dash down next to the window and drive around and see what kind of signal you get...If you can recieve signal well enough just run the cable under the dash and up to the front where the glass meets the dash and use some Double sided tape to mount the antena on the dash...Just be sure that its getting signal...

neat XM install - Last Post -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
I tried it inside on the dash and it fades in and out pretty bad around town. I have a hatchback and looked at running it under the rubber seal around the hatch, but the thin metal ridge that the rubber seal pushes down to hold the seal in place is pretty sharp. It looks like it might cut the wire when the hatch closes. Do you think it would work and not cut the wire?
'85 Toy

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic