icon

Best components for a strict budget?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
garretcar 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

I posted last week about choosing 6.5" / 6.75" components on a budget, but now I've made some further decisions that may limit my choices and wanted to ask for some more specific feedback.  I've decided not to buy an amp (for various reasons), so I will be driving my speakers with only a Kenwood head unit (22 rms).  As a result, I've narrowed down to a few of the low/mid end speaker choices which seemed more in tune with power handling without an amp.  Originally, I thought about CDT (CL-61), but it seems a bit ridiculous to purchase $300 110W RMS speakers and drive them with a head unit of 22 RMS.  Am I right on this conclusion?

Anyway, here's what I've narrowed down to considering I'll have no external amp.  I've listened to some of these in stores, but it's so hard to tell what it'll sound like in the car.  And the setups in stores haven't allowed direct one-to-one comparisons of these models, so it's difficult to decide.  I'd appreciate any input on these based on your experiences (and again, any other choices you might know of that would be good candidates).  I've gotten some good info from this forum so far, so many thanks in advance:

Alpine S-SPS717A 6.5" (90 sensitivity, 1" textile tweeter, 8-50W rms power handling, 35-25k freq resp.)

DEI CSX650 6.5" (90 sensitivity, 0.75 silk tweeter, 50W rms power handling, 65-21k freq resp.) (these are the most expensive of the choices)

Infinity 6010cs 6.5" (92 sensitivity, 1" silk tweeter, 2-90W rms power handling, 53-21k freq resp.)

JL Audio TR650csi 6.5" (91 sensitivity, 0.5" textile tweeter, 50W rms power handling, 59-22k freq resp.)

Polk Audio db6750 6.75" (92 sensitivity, 1" silk/poly tweeter, 10-100W rms power handling, 35-23k freq resp.)

Kenwood KFC-p705ie 6.75" (92 sensitivity, 0.75" laminate cloth tweeter, 8-55W rms power handling, 30-25k freq resp.)

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

Just about any coaxials will do when you're powering with a standard head unit.  At that level of sound system you're not going to get much appreciable differences among the brands.  No use looking at components, and get speakers that boast a sensitivity down to 2 watts power input.

When you do go the route of setting up a basic system with amplification, you can upgrade then. 

As far as asking for input from the forum on these speakers goes, anybody here will have made comparisons with the speakers properly amplified....how they sound with deck power is another story. 

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
another thing i look at when looking for speakers (this is my personal opinion) a human ear can usually only hear 20hz - 20khz...so unless you want your neighbors dog listening to it, i wouldn't be to concerned with the freq. that goes to like 25khz, also....i don't know many coaxial's that will play 35 hz properly, looks for the one that gives a good rating in the 250hz and up.  but just for a little more help...take the kenwood off your list...i've heard them and they don't do nothing, persoanly i would go for the infinity or JL...havn't heard the new alpine stuff....i have heard it's suppose to be nice though...but havn't heard it and only ever seen there type S sub...which never impressed me
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2005 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
all you need to do is get a pair of focal speakers and you will never buy anyother speakers again, they are great speakers
garretcar 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2005 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
Regarding running components with head unit power only, the comment above "No use looking at components"  seems to directly contradict information I've found from numerous web sites and local dealers who say that going with components is fine, and can make for a noticeable improvement over coaxials even if you are only using stereo power.  The local JL dealer said the 50W rms speakers (either the Alpine or the JL's) would be good choices, among others with a 22rms head unit.  Stevdart (or anyone else), on what basis do you make statements implying that head units alone and components shouldn't mix?
audiointl 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 4:58 AM / IP Logged  

note to Oxygen65:

I bought a set of Focal 3-way comps for $4500, way underpowered.  Definately not cost-effective, but great for beatin' up on those SQ vans! lol

Everything I touch turns to ICE
evanc 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 5:40 AM / IP Logged  
I have personally heard the Infinity 6010cs 6.5" hooked up to An Alpine HU (With V-Drive, so more power than the average deck). It sounded alright. Hook them up to an amp though, and I thought they sounded very good for the price. They have a bright sound, and not much low end though...so beware.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic