icon

Zapco Symbilink cables

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bajaclawz71 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  

Are the Zapco Symbilink cables really worth the extra cash? Most importantly, however, I have heard that all the Symbilik cable is a PS2 cable that you can pick up at any computer store( the ones that connect a mouse or keyboard to the computer).  Is this true and if so will there be any performance differences between the two.  I talked to Zapco directly and they said that those cables would not work but they could be lying since that would mean that they no longer would be able to sell those cables for such rediculous prices.  Oh and my other option is just to go with RCAs if it is not worth it.

Thanks in advance,

Blake

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
If you have a Symbilink device, you HAVE to use the Symbilink cables. The cables convert their "proprietary" output to a standard RCA connector, so you can interface non-Zapco devices with Zapco Signal processors. No, they are NOT just a PS2 cable, either. The guys at Zapco were not just pulling your chain.
If you are using Zapco devices throughout the system, these cables provide a balanced connection from processor to amp... a definite bonus in the electrically noisy environment of the car.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
bajaclawz71 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

With the Reference series you have both options, you can use either RCA or Symbilink.  So is Symbilink worth the extra cash?  I have a decent system but nothing competition like.  If I go RCA I will probably get the Stinger Hyper series RCAs.  Symbilink will cost me well over $100 but RCAs will cost me around $20.  Symbilink better make one hell of a difference for those types of price jumps.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
If you spent that much on the amps, what's another 80 dollars in the overall system? Is this for your mid/highs, or the sub? Mid/highs, YES get 'em. For the sub? Either way.
Your benefit here will come from the balanced geometry of the cables - the cable itself means VERY little in the scheme of things. If you are worried about that little bit of extra cash, go to Radio Shack and use their cables instead of the Stingers. Same acoustic difference as any other cable - especially, as I said, in the car.
This is the difference between the Symbilink and the RCA link. You will hear a difference between those, but NOT between the Radio Shack and the Stinger. Save the money... see what I'm getting at?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
bajaclawz71 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
If you spent that much on the amps, what's another 80 dollars in the overall system? Is this for your mid/highs, or the sub? Mid/highs, YES get 'em. For the sub? Either way.
Your benefit here will come from the balanced geometry of the cables - the cable itself means VERY little in the scheme of things. If you are worried about that little bit of extra cash, go to Radio Shack and use their cables instead of the Stingers. Same acoustic difference as any other cable - especially, as I said, in the car.
This is the difference between the Symbilink and the RCA link. You will hear a difference between those, but NOT between the Radio Shack and the Stinger. Save the money... see what I'm getting at?

I just got the Stingers for $12 and I can always upgrade.  Thanks for the help though.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic