icon

HU Not Working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
Ok this was my first attempt at installing a head unit. And well, I've learned quite a bit. I've got the stupid kit in there and such finally. I have it all wired up according to the wire diagram on the site. Its a 93 Chevy Cavalier. The most difficult part is the fact that there was no harness to work from, so basically had to take factory colors and wire off that thanks to some a***ole. Basic symptoms right now are this... Front speakers have no sound, back has left and right. The only time the unit comes on is when you turn on the head lights... I'd say maybe I grabbed a wrong wire like illumination or something, but I really don't recall seeing another wire back there. Any ideas?
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

I'd say you have it diagnosed pretty well.  You grabbed some wrong wires.  HU Not Working - Last Post -- posted image. 

If the deck only comes on with the headlights, you probably have an illumination lead connected to the deck's switched power.  If the front speakers do not work but the rear ones do, then obviously you used the wrong wires for the front speakers.  Time to break out the meter and run some voltage checks to find a switched hot for the deck and some continuity checks to sort out the speaker wires.  By the way, NEVER go strictly by anyone's wiring diagram, especially in a car that has been butchered.  You need to meter everything to make sure it is what you think it is before you use it.  Otherwise, it can be fuses-a-poppin all over the place.

Support the12volt.com
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I'm a lil concerned about the fuse thing. When I started cutting the old radio harness off I had a couple pops and light flicker I guess(according to friend.) As for the meter, I don't have one, and honestly, not even sure as to how go about finding stuff like that... Been so long since I touched one. As for the wires, I'm concerned because well, to be honest, I can't find another wire back there, and everything worked fine before.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
Dude, you've said a couple things that really concern me, especially from someone like yourself who's been around here for a while.  First, you cut off the harness?  Are you telling me the car's factory harness was intact?  Man, never do that!  Get an adapter from Metra or Scosche.   If you'd used an adapter I'd bet you'd be having NONE of these problems.  Second, if you had a "couple of pops" and think you may have blown a fuse, was the battery connected?  NEVER work on a car's electrical system (and this includes anything to do with the audio power system) with the battery connected.  And third, get a meter.  You can't know what's what without one.  Go to radio shack and have them teach you how to use it.
Support the12volt.com
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  
if you still have the factory harness then go ahead and get the aftermarket one. plug them into each other and you will have the correct wire colors right there in front of you.
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  

i think he (master asylum) meant that he cut the old hu harness out of the car and that the factory one was never there.

so no matter how we look at this cut or not . like these guys said you will need to do some wire tracking. if you do not want to use a meter,wwwitch i do not suggest, you can get a light probe /light tester and it will light when you have the alorgator clip on ground and the probe end on a 12v source. for the speakers you can get a 9v battery and trail and error that one out. when you have found a set of wires for one speaker and they are hooked up to the 9v it will sound off. lol

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic