icon

relays to keep car on without key

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ccb31789 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
Here's what I would like to do: I would like to install a switch that when in the On position, keeps the car on even while they keys are taken out (until the brake pedal is pressed or the starter is engaged). Here's a basic diagram of what I'm thinking needs to be done:
relays to keep car on without key - Last Post -- posted image.
But I'm somewhat new to this, so there's a good chance that diagram is a little off. I didn't label the terminals but I'm sure you all can figure out that 87 is at the top, 86 is to the left, etc... So yeah...
Is this practical?
Do I need to put diodes across the coils?
Is the switching of relays every time I turn on the car or press the brake gonna wear them out?
Will the clicking of relays every time I press the brake become ridiculously annoying?
ccb31789 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
Oops, I already found a mistake in my drawing. It should be something a little more like this.
relays to keep car on without key - Last Post -- posted image.
wiggetta 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2005 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
I also want to do this, but maybe using a Push to make momentary latching switch to activate it.
Is the above relay going to work?
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2005 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
Most remote starters have a quick stop mode so you can run into 711 or whatever without leaving your keys in the car. Basically all you do is hit the remote start button on the remote, then the remote start takes over and you can take your keys and the car continues running until you hit the brake, shut it off from the remote, or it runs for it's set time of 10 or 15 minutes or whatever. So to answer your question no that's not really practical, and no the diagram you have won't work. I would definately just recommend a cheap remote starter with that feature plus you will have a remote starter which is nice.
Mike
ccb31789 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2005 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
Mmkay I figured the diagram wouldn't work. And I already have remote start but I'm not sure if it has that feature, and even if it does, wiring up something new would be more fun so... I dunno. I'm thinking I might just wire up something anyways just for the heck of it. I'm not planning on using anything similar to that diagram though.. I've done a little more research and I'm pretty sure I know what I need to do now.
Detour 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2005 at 3:27 AM / IP Logged  
I've also been toying with an idea like this for my Caprice. I do not feel like buying the Secure-Idle(what's on the squad cars) but I do have 4 different setups which I have gathered from the junkyard. Only toggles connected to relays but I havent figured out which one is wired the right way. Although the ones I have wont turn the car off if the brake pedal is hit, it will still fill its purpose.
redpeppers 
Silver - Posts: 483
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2005 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
your steering will will be locked if u dont have the key in the ignition unless u remove the lock system.
Where theres is a wire there's a way.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic