icon

2nd order x-over needed?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
d43m05 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2005 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  
um, okay, i do have a fairly newbish setup going right now.
JVC KD-G400 Head
Sony Xplod 4x6 fronts
Lightning Audio 6x9 rears
Lightning Audio 12" subs
and a Jensen JXP680 amp driving subs and rears.
My problem is that when i turn the volume up, the front speakers distort and belch from too much bass. I already have a 1st order crossover installed. Caps inline with front speaker positive. The caps are rated at 133µf, and remove bass from 300hz and below @ 4ohm.
Would installing a second order crossover help the bass overload on the fronts? Should I select a different rating capacitor for the crossover?
Or does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this issue?
I dont have the money for new speakers or anything right now, so i'm stuck with what i've got. But any help would be greatly appreciated.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 16, 2005 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
You don't have those fronts powered by an amplifier?  That's probably the problem...getting crap from the deck.  If you buy coils and caps to make a 2nd order for those Sonys then you've exceeded their value with things that try to fix them.  You should be able to find low-cost speaker replacements if you look hard, try also the buy/sell forum here.  And you HAVE to power the front main speakers with an amplifier.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
d43m05 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2005 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
i just might have an old amp in storage.... i think it was a Jensen Nitro, 2 channel, 200 watts....
I'm gonna have to grab a shovel and a dustbrush to dig it out and clean it up, IF i still have it
d43m05 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
BUT... and this is a very large buy, my previous head a Pioneer rated at 45 watts per channel didnt produce this belching sound. And my new KD-G400 does, even though its rated at 50 watts x 4.
o0o00o0o00oo i know what to do now.... screw it, i found the amp, so i'm gonna pick up a distribution block tomorrow and throw it all together....
Would it be safe to mount a 200w amp under the passenger seat?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic