icon

77 Impalas endless rattle

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lifesshort 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged  
Hello, I have a 4 door 77 Impala that I've been working on for around 4 years now... I just threw  2 12's (Kicker comps) in the trunk powered by a 900 watt (300 RMS). I built my own box which sounds great, all except for the massive rattles, It doesnt sound to bad on the inside but the outside it horrible. I found some of it inbetween the backglass and the trunk lid.. I filled it with walmart foam and it helped massivly.. But I also have a rattle, between my gas tank and my trunk... THATS THE WORSTE part of all of the rattle, I'm needing to know what to put between the trunk and gas tank, also will roofing underlayment work for inside soundeadener?? PLease give me some ideas I am on a budget although my Impala is stripped atm (Read deck, back seat, Headline, Trim, I also can't find new trim to fit my car any ideas on finding that as well?  Your help with be greatful and very much appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Lifes 2 Short 2 Waste so enjoy it while it last.
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
line the car with fat mat.  Fat mat is like Dynamat but better and cheaper.  Gut the car and line everything with it to get rid of all your rattles.  Good luck.
Why do you ask if I ate paint chips when I was younger?
lifesshort 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
Does roofing underlayment work? Cause I am on a serious budget now, some things came up.
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
wouldnt recommend it, lots of people have had issues with it not sticking properly and falling off (which I can only imagine would make a mess of your car).  My recommendation would be to live with it temporarily until you can afford some sound deadening.  As far as the gas tank goes, expanding foam could work I guess, but would probably look a little cheesy,  maybe look into ordering a small can of rhinoliner (any of the self sprayer line-x type of liners) and spray it between the car and the gas tank.
lifesshort 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
I should have been more specifice, the gas tank is directly under my trunk, Its inbetween the BOTTOM of my trunk and the top of the gas tank, nobody will really see it, unless getting under my car and pulling the gas tank off.
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2005 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
Come on now, lets not give those gas tank thieves a reason to judge you.  In any case, get creative, just remember that the goal is to put some sort of moderately soft "padding" of sorts in between the two so that it isnt metal touching metal.  The roofing underlayment might work for that specific purpose (although I would still say there are probably better options in the same price range), but any sort of rubber mat or spray, wal-mart sells aerosol cans of the bedliner spray I was talking about for like $5 one or two of those under there and you should be rattle free.
lifesshort 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2005 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  

Thank you for your help, lol, and thanks for such fast replys guys, thanks big time, later.

77 Impalas endless rattle - Last Post -- posted image.

abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2005 at 2:13 AM / IP Logged  
Check the straps on the gas tank. If you have rattles the tank may be coming loose. If the straps are tight I don't see why you would have as many rattles as you are coming from the tank.
Why do you ask if I ate paint chips when I was younger?
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2005 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ That site will help you decide on a deadener material.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
mecpatm 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
Man I had this exact same problem with one of these cars in my shop. I put three cases of stinger road kill in the trunk and that helped a good but however this stuff is expensive. As far as eliminating the gas tank from rattling against the bottom of the trunk i have two options for you. First is the get a piece of wood and if you can drop the gas tank enough to get it in there it works great. just make sure you find a way to waterproof the wood as good as possible to keep it from rotting, i used fiberglass. the second option is to get an ass of silicone and put it in between the gas tank and the trunk, keep in mind this will take a lot of silicone.
Thomas

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic