icon

ohms load nitemare

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fr33w0rld 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  

i just got a mono block 4000 D hard kore ma audio amp..it's 2 ohms stable but it keeps turning off after i go past volume 10 on my deck...i sm sure it's an ohms load issue...

in the manaul is has a nice diagram about wiring subs to getother to get differen ohms load...but they use all 2 ohm dvc subs....

i have a quad coil sub..and i believe each coil is 1.5 ohms..not 2 ohms...can anyone wip up a wiring diag for me to get a 2 ohm load on this best of an amp...i would like to get a 2 ohm load on her to see if it's my voltage dropping to much for it of if it's an ohm load..

HU Alpine CDA-9855 Amp MA Audio 802sx 4,400 RMS 1 ohm Sub 18" MA Audio RMS 5,000 @ 1.5 ohm Ported Box Car 99 civic Si
overworked2 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
If you only wired up two coils in series then you would get a 3ohm load. But you will not be able to get a 2ohm load out of that sub.
Check all advice given with a meter
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
Your ONLY options with that woofer, while still using all of the voice coils is .375 ohms - with all four coils parallelled, 1.5 ohms - series parallel, and 6 ohms - all four coils in series.
As you can see, there is ONE allowable connection for that woofer/amp combo. Sorry, man, but there you are. You need another amp, and run them both at 3 ohms, or a stereo amp, that you can bridge...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
fr33w0rld 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
ok i wired it for a 3 ohm load and a 6 ohm load and tryed many other configs...and it still puked at the same volume level...we hooked a sizely battery charger up to it and it was able to get it to volume 15 instead of 10..if i am over loading the amp ohms wize should it not go into protect mode? should i try upgrading the battery to chasie ground? it doens't seem to be getting hot... another thing is we went for a cruze for a couple hours were the lights were diming the whole time....i checked the amp temp and it was at 186..she seems to get hot quite fast..
HU Alpine CDA-9855 Amp MA Audio 802sx 4,400 RMS 1 ohm Sub 18" MA Audio RMS 5,000 @ 1.5 ohm Ported Box Car 99 civic Si
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds to me like you are overloading the alternator in your vehicle.  It's not the amp's fault, it's the alternator's fault.  Time to spend some money and get an HO alternator.
Support the12volt.com
fr33w0rld 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
thnx's dyohn i was thinking about that...what about another battery tooo?
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
if this is in your civic then you DEFINATELY , or should i say MUST upgrade the alternator and battery. You spent thousands on your audio equipment and are trying to run it off of a sub par electrical system, spend another $800 or so and get yourself a nice big REAL HO alternator, and a quality battery such as a Kinetik power cell. For a quality alternator check here :  http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm   , www.mechman.com , www.ohiogen.com, www.meangreen.com , shoot for 200 amps or more and that should run you at LEAST $350-$600 depending on the quality of the alternator, , if its alot cheaper then $350 you may as whell go put a legacy amp in your car. And the battery is here http://kinetikaudio.com/hc2400.asp
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
fr33w0rld 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
i have a optima battery in..thinking about buying another one.i can't get kentic bat's in canada haven't found a place to get em...my buddies dad owns wilson electrical....there going to be desgining me a new alternator...i already run 0 gauge in the car..

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic