the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Sony Copy Protected CDs - Too Far

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  

Yep.  It is a complex and evolving issue.  I really believe the wishes of the public are moot in this unless court challenges are brought.  It is the corporations and copyright holders who have the power to influence the law.  The only power consumers have is to 1) let lawmakers know how you feel and hope they listen, and 2) use the power of the purse.  If you don't like what a company like Sony is doing, then don't buy Sony products.  Organize a boycott.  Take out ads in the trade and fan magazines and on TV.  Make a web site like sonysucks.com.  Losing money is really the only thing most corporations and lawmakers will really listen to.

My position on this issue in these forums remains: any member may discuss, argue, cajole, bitch and complain all they want.  But when anyone posts instructions, tips or links to other web sites intended to violate existing law, the line has been crossed.  I do not care if people agree or disagree with the law: it is what it is and we'll do our best to not proliferate violations.  It protects the forum and everyone else's ability to access and use it.  Cool?  Sony Copy Protected CDs - Too Far - Page 4 - Last Post -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
Wow this thread got hot fast,
The way I see it, its all about choice.. My personal choice to break the law or not. Sometimes I choose to break the law, sometimes I choose to abide by the law
As an adult with a prior criminal record I will gladly serve my time to society if I choose to break a law and get caught, thats my choice, most people will not  break the law and I respect that
Due to the nature of the company I work for, every day we have to Violate the DMCA there is no option itspart of  what makes us our money
Does that mean I dont respect Copyrights, Tradmarks and IP? no it doesn't , you should be paid for your work, but as I have said before many times, I will not let myself get blatantly ripped off .. I will take my business elsewhere or look to other means
Does that make me a bad person, evil , A criminal.. yes it does but I can live with myself , I sleep soundly at night knowing every now and then I can screw over the entire structure of business
But again this is only the thoughs of a Insane Computer guy.. your thoughts will vary with mileage
Stay safe and have fun all
--Skold
Destroying The World Since 5 Billion B.C
2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2005 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn:
Of course it is cool that you do your job as a moderator. Had you simply moderated without calling me, and others that actually buy their music, a thief, I probably wouldn't have commented.
The combination, and adding your stature in the mind of some young minds on this board, motivated me to providing a counterpoint.
Keep doing your job, but remember that with power comes responsibility; you influence quite a few young minds here. I beg you to provide a balanced view of controversial topics while moderating. Your post from another forum accomplished this. Thank you.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 10, 2005 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  

Here's a list of titles to watch out for:

http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2005_11.php#004146

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2005 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
Just read an article in Yahoo that says an Anti virus company has already found three viruses that are piggy backing their way into PCs on the Sony Rootkit. I thought it was going to take a little longer then this. Wow Skold!
There is no such thing as free installation!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  

"Stung by continuing criticism, the world's second-largest music label, Sony BMG Music Entertainment, promised Friday to temporarily suspend making music CDs with antipiracy technology that can leave computers vulnerable to hackers."

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20051112/D8DQJN3G2.html

Support the12volt.com
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
 PRIVACY AND SECURITY TIP: Sony's music CD rootkit
Sony is receiving bad press over its newest DRM (digital rights
management) software, and rightly so. Some CD releases under Sony BMG
Music contain copy-protection software that installs itself on Windows
machines. This is nothing new. However, some of Sony’s software
includes a rootkit. Hackers can use rootkits to attack your computer.
I’ll be discussing that in the second hour of my show.

This is a clip from the Kim Komando show news letter... I did not know exactly where to post this....
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  

There is a PATCH available.............But SONY Sucks>>>>>>>>

http://www.accountancyage.com/vnunet/news/2145413/sony-rapped-rootkit-music-cd

Plus SONY put a Stop to it Friday:

http://apnews1.iwon.com//article/20051112/D8DQJN3G2.html?PG=home&SEC=news

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
--> MICROSOFT ANTISPYWARE TO REMOVE SONY ROOTKIT
Microsoft is classifying Sony's copy-protection software as malware.
Microsoft's AntiSpyware will detect and remove the software from
infected computers. Other security programs from Microsoft will also
remove the software.

Sony's copy-protection software, developed by First4Internet, installs
a rootkit on Windows machines. Since the rootkit was discovered two
weeks ago, Sony has come under fire from experts and consumers alike.

MORE INFO FROM KIM KOMANDO
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic