icon

1st Sub Project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tazmn23 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, so I finally decided to jump in and start on the 2 sub boxes for my 10" JL's.  First off, I can understand why it costs so much to buy a sub box already made..... them damn MDF rings are killer!  Especially only with a little handheld jigsaw haha.  But anyways, I got the rings cut and they fit like a damn glove.  I layed down my first layer of fiberglass tonight and am letting it sit overnight.  Odd question though, I laid down my fiberglass and went out like an hour later and it was still slightly "wet"...It is about 60 degress here and I used about 12-16 drops of hardener.....so im guessing its going to take all night?  It will eventually dry I guess....I'll just use more hardener tomorrow... I only took a couple pics because my camera was low on batteries..... I couldnt even use a flash.... so here are a couple horribly blurry pictures. 

Cut the rings, put the tape down, and glassed it over.

1st Sub Project - Last Post -- posted image.1st Sub Project - Last Post -- posted image.

1st Sub Project - Last Post -- posted image.

mikeva 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2005 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
yea the warmer it is where you are working the faster it takes to harden.the recommended amount of catalyst to use is based on a certain temperature,i think around 75.so cooler than that you could use a few more drops,but not too much or else it could cause it to crack.it just takes some practice to get it just right.you could also use a hairdryer to speed things up a little bit.the same applies to bondo,kitty hair,etc.
suicidecustom 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2005 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
i wouldnt use a hair dryer or try to speed the curing process. resin and duraglass(kittyhair) both shrink when they cure and the faster they cure the more they shrink. if you try to cure it too fast it will just warp the peice your working on
tazmn23 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2005 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
ok, well, I just let it cure overnight, and a little in the morning before i put on a second coat.  I have the third coat currently drying right now.  Got a question though, How many layers should i put on the base before cutting it to shape and starting with the fleece coat?  When i had 2 layers of FB on, it still flexed a little, but now im sure with 3 coats on it shouldnt flex at all.  Can I start the fleece tomorrow with a 3 coated base?  I doubt the base will flex at all tomorrow,  And im also only making the box for one 10" JL w3.
mikeva 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2005 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
3 layers for a single 10" should be fine.the extra curves that fiberglass boxes normally have reinforce it and give it extra strength.
Cougar.Modder 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
I used 4 coats on my sides like this application and seemed to be perfect. But then again I did have issues getting it out of the car too. Make sure you use a good releasing agent. Keep the pics coming.
Alpine 7830 HU-4X100 W McIntosh -2X110 W McIntosh-MB Quart Q's Mid Tweets-4X10" Phoenix Gold Subs-Phoenix Gold EQ215ix-AC Epi-PG Line Driver-Phoenix Gold 1 Farad Cap -Clifford Avantguard 4-2 Ear Plugs
djrcustom 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2005 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah 3 sounds good, also do the thumb test around if you feel it might be a little to weak (press on it in diff. areas with your thumb and see if it bends) if it holds up good then wrap it and finish it up also make sure to post more pics! 1st Sub Project - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic