icon

Interior LED next to key

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wester97 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  

I am wanting to have an led come on while my dome lights are on.  I cannot see the keyhole and adding an led next to it would really help.  There is a spot for a switch there, so it will be easy to mount, but how do i tie it in to the dome lights?

Thanks!!

thefivespeeder 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
if it is one led you can literally tap off the dome light leads
wester97 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
good call.  think one blue would light up enough to see the key hole?
captain_zap 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 4:23 AM / IP Logged  
Look at the brightness ratings. They aren’t all the same, check out ultrabright ones, jumbos are also out there and if your after a bit of a kick, check out the luxon star leds, one of those ought to more than light up your keys. I know its not necessary but what about a little logic circuit, if dome lights are on and the ignition is on, key is on or what have you, the car is running etc then the led doesn’t turn on. A couple ways of handling this would be a relay, normally closed and power from a switched supply would lock it into open when current was applied so when you had the keys in and the car on, the light wouldn’t go on. You could also do the same thing with some digital logic if that’s your cup of tea. If you end up with the led being to bright you can always vary it with a resistor or use PWM to vary the brightness.
wester97 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2005 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  

thanks for the advice.  My dome lights shut off once the key is turned.  The problem lies in that the current dome light is positioned so that there is a shadow made by the steering wheel/column and my head that blocks light from the ignition.  It is frustrating.  I think tying into the dome light power is the best option.

I guess the led would always turn on when the dome light does, even when turned on manually?

CoppellStereo
total_overkill 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
a shorter run would be from the floor lights instead of going from the roof which would be about 5 ft of wire  if you want to hide it right. From the floor lights is about a foot and a half 2 feet. They are also tied in with the interior lights. I found that I had to use the negative on the circut too. and could not just goround anywhere when I did it though.
cowboy21 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2005 at 2:46 AM / IP Logged  
if u have no floor lights u can tap into the door open trigger, that maybe positive or negative, but u can use either, and as for mounting the led, are u going to mount it above the ignition (external)? if there is a plastic ring around it maybe u might be better off mounting it behing the plastic and allowing the plastic to light up so u can see where it is and it looks much tidier.
modest yet effective... ECLIPSE 12", Venom 8"x2, Focal 5 1/2" comp.,Response amps x2 (580WRMS total @ 4Ohms), Pioneer TFT + DVD, good for 148.7dB
coppellstereo 
Silver - Posts: 785
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2005 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
there is a piece of plastic to the right of the keyhole on the dash area that pops out, kinda like for a switch.  ill just pop it out and drill a hole.  should be simple

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic